Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just changed jobs and will be doing an extra 250ish miles a week, I'm considering a remap to see if it will help the cost of the fuel. I did do a search but a mixed bag of answers on did it improve fuel economy. It will be on a 2.4 210bhp. Anyone any info on this, at the moment I'm getting average 35mpg. Thanks

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
My honest opinion ….and its the same with a box or map in my experience.....is that the improvement in mpg will be negligible if anything at all and if you use the extra power you will burn extra fuel. You cant beat physics no matter what people claim. At a constant 70 (or whatever) mph you car will burn a certain amount of fuel to produce the necessary power to move it at that speed. Unless you change something about the car (weight, aerodynamics...or actually get into the engine to make it mechanically more efficient) then you wont notice any change. IMO most folks that claim hugely improved mpg are using the dash readout of mpg rather than had calculating. Tuning boxes always throw this miles out....as do some of the poorest maps...so ignore it and measure tank top to tank top.

My results are;
Grand Cherokee Tuning box...no change in mpg....much nicer to drive (showed 7-8 mpg improvement on dash though...lol).
Same Grand Cherokee Map. Slightly better at low revs than box but same mpg even though it dropped into top slightly earlier (automatic).
Alfa 159 tuning box. Same mpg....but loads more fun to drive!! So I'm actually getting slightly worse mpg when not on my commute due to lead foot syndrome! Sorry but no point having the extra power and not using it. Shows about 7 mpg increase on dash though....a lie!

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
711 Posts
I never bother with measuring brim to brim, but when I first got mine remapped I used to get about another 50 miles to a tank. Same weekly route, same semi lead foot.

I’m in a 535d now (i know, I know) and I’m just having the same debate with myself. But this is more about the power hike from 308bhp to a likely 380bhp!

My 159 was a completely different car after it’s remap. I loved the drive ability, and it even felt lighter. Fairy dust does exist!

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
I don't think it will make much difference unless the original map is particularly bad.

It takes a certain amount of energy to move a given mass of car over a given distance. A remap won't change that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a re-map i think my MPG is prity much the same, more fun mind. If you get the DPF removed at same time you will see better MPG, but you will probably fail your next MOT.
Rob

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
You might gain an extra couple of MPG by turning the EGR off and blanking it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
On my last road trip through northern Europe, I saw 48 mpg, despite giving it some beans in Germany.

However, on my return to the usual work drudge, I'm back to about 39-42mpg .

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Think it depends on the car and also what mods and map you have done.

My old Subaru had a lot of mods done and a bespoke remap, when measuring actual fuel consumption it was roughly 6mpg better. Not a massive difference but over course of a year it a decent saving.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
On my last road trip through northern Europe, I saw 48 mpg, despite giving it some beans in Germany.

However, on my return to the usual work drudge, I'm back to about 39-42mpg .
If I can get 39mpg from the 2.4 which arrives here next week I will be well pleased.

Most people get a lot less.

The best I have seen on my 2.0 Giulietta is 51mpg, and the Mrs averages around 42mpg on her trip to work.

So maybe there won't be a whole lot of difference between them...

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
At a steady 70 I will be amazed is there is any difference. It's at constant speed that a remap or box had the least effect. The improvements are when driving harder. You can't make a diesel run lean like a petrol engine. Less diesel just means less power...so you have to push the pedal further to inject the same fuel to make the same power. This is because on a diesel there is no throttle to play with so power is fully controlled by the amount of fuel injected...and if your map gives more boost than stock you will need more fuel to match the increased air flow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting!

You could try this..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CR2-Comm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Fitted mine a week ago, haven't measured brim to brim and am ignoring the inflated dash reading but I am def using less fuel.

20 quid would usually just get me to Manchester and back from south Leeds, about 114 miles, the needle would be flat empty, whereas now theres easy a couple of mm left.

The dash is saying 47.7 vs my usual 36 ish.

I'm going to do a measured test soon but it seems to be doing what it says on the tin, eco at low revs, power at higher revs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting!

You could try this..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CR2-Comm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Fitted mine a week ago, haven't measured brim to brim and am ignoring the inflated dash reading but I am def using less fuel.

20 quid would usually just get me to Manchester and back from south Leeds, about 114 miles, the needle would be flat empty, whereas now theres easy a couple of mm left.

The dash is saying 47.7 vs my usual 36 ish.

I'm going to do a measured test soon but it seems to be doing what it says on the tin, eco at low revs, power at higher revs!
I do have a fully blanked EGR and partially drilled DPF

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh man, my Brera is a torque monster after a remap and egr blank. Even on slightly wet roads I get wheel spin in 3rd but that’s when ASR kicks in and is very useful.

If it’s better economy you want I doubt you will see such gains, not any worse but I still get 40mpg at least on long motorway drives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts