Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently had to part with my faithful 156 JTD 2.4 20V, after 8 years and nigh on 90,000 miles of pleasure (it had done over 160,000 in total), I have replaced it with a nice 156 1.9 JTD 16V (the 140 bhp engine).

Whilst the new one runs nice and smoothly, I am missing the sheer get-up-and-go that the 175 bhp of the 2.4 engine delivered. I am considering a remap to boost the power. I would probably only be looking to add 20-30 bhp.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions? Pitfalls and pratfalls? The 1.9 has got 105,000 on the clock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The 16V 1.9 JTDm takes a map well, 170-180bhp is a nice safe target to aim for certainly.

Quite common for you to chew through the clutch following the remap though.. If your clutch is a few years old, the remap might just kill it off. No big deal really, just stash some money away ready for when you need a new one ;)

Boost hoses can also take a bit of a beating from the remap, but to be honest these wear out on completely stock standard cars so it's probably not fair to blame the remap for this..

If you're getting a map loaded, it's a good time to get the EGR deleted too - good practice to prevent future problems, plus you get to pick up a little power/efficiency I believe (never noticed it myself, but who knows!).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Clutch was replaced at 86,000 so under 20,000 ago, so hopefully won't be an issue for a bit. Something along the lines of the output of the 2.4 engine would be nice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts