Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there Spider remapped, phoned today and they recon it gives the engine another 40 bhp and increases the torque, ive never had this done to any car but have heard good reports about doing it, apparentley it also increases MPG, all this for £150 with a free diagnosis, 3mth warranty and after 1 week money back if not satisfied, seems to good to be true:devious:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
most insurance companies hate remapped cars...as I found out after getting my diesel 156 remapped....my insurance company wanted to add £400 to the £300 premium....! It will mean shopping around for a still higher premium....or keeping stumm....neither of which is a happy feeling.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
As far as insurance goes, some of the comparison sites now have tick boxes for performance mods and if you have an online insurer like I do you can add them and see what it would cost without commitment.

All I am saying is this.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Aside from the insurance aspects
Which engine do you have?

If it's a petrol then +40BHP is unlikely (from what I've read on here)

If it's a diesel then go for it, It's a brilliant upgrade for a great price. :)

I had my 1.9JTDm 159 remapped with a pre written map and it was great, lots more power, abut 5% better fuel economy
(the usual caveats about gearbox apply here, My 1.9 started to show warning signs of gearbox failure quite soon after the remap, If you have an M32 gearbox I would advise you spend a lot more and get a custom map from someone like Gus at Alfatune)

I replaced my 1.9 with a 2.0JTDm and had that remapped at the same place (generic map) it's flipping brilliant, so much more power, so much better power delivery, It's like a rocket ship now, Economy is a little better but I drive so much less economically now as it's just more fun. If I drive carefully I probably get around 5% more miles now but thats a guess, economy is the same as it was before the remap but I accelerate a lot harder than I used to. I have the F40 gearbox in this car so no worries about the box eating itself.

In summary,

Check your gearbox model,
If it's an M32 don't do it,
If it's an F40 defiantly get it done.
If it's any other I dont know.

:)

Axe

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
As Axe says, a clue about the engine might be an idea.
Guessing a DERV even though it is a convertible? An extra 40 bhp on the 2.2 doesn't sound plausible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its the 2.4 diesel, still a bit undecided but had a lot of good reports, thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just got the car back and i must say im impressed, first thing i noticed was the car was doing a full 10mpg more than when i took it in on the computer in the car, power has improved and the torque is noticeable straight away, it flies, all for £150 from a garage called Campbells in Marske north east of england

1 - 11 of 11 Posts