Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm about 6 weeks into ownership, and really starting to enjoy the SW. When I bought the car I had it remapped as part of the deal. Opted not to go for a DPF removal, on account that it potentially could invalidate the remainder of the Alfa warranty. However, I can't help but feel I'm missing out on both performance and economy now!

So, question is, should I go for the DPF removal now, or would it be wise to wait a year or so until the Alfa warranty expires? Is it likely to make THAT much difference? Pleased with what I've got. It pulls very well, but is a bit gutless up around the rev range, and certainly at illegal speeds on my private airfield.

Car in question is a 210bhp 2.4 TI SW on a '59 plate. Its currently running at 217 bhp / 384lb...

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
if it was me in your position i would be tempted to leave the dpf on until the warranty expires.

I originally had a remap without dpf removal like you and found the car pulled well across the rev range but haven't noticed a great difference in mpg between no dpf removal remap and dpf removal with remap but I do wonder if im enjoying the car more now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If it was me i would wait.... With the dpf removed, you can get a more aggressive remap and gain far more lower down torque. It will be a completely different animal, but as i say worth hanging on to the warranty for another year.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I found it quite the opposite. With a generic remap and dpf left in place i had plumes of smoke under heavy accel. With the remap and dpf removal its minimal. I think it all depends on the quality of the maps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would have thought that your warranty is already invalidated by the re-map you've already had. Unless it's an Alfa approved re-map, but I don't think such a thing exists.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have thought that your warranty is already invalidated by the re-map you've already had. Unless it's an Alfa approved re-map, but I don't think such a thing exists.
Well, thats what I wondered, but I was told that it would be highly unlikely the re-map would be discovered a main dealer....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for your replies, guys.

Its my 40th at the end of May, so i'll probably wait until at least then!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2.4 does result in quite heavy plumes under hard acceleration, and I had the filter removed. Well worth it though. ;-)

Unless you're on a motorbike behind me of course..

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
a proper, professional remap & dpf removal will transform your car. you'll be up to around 250bhp but with much better driveability thrown in too. leave it til after the warranty's finished though :thumbs:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Slightly other question: is it possible to smash the inside of your DPF and make it straight thru, without any modifications done to the software?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Slightly other question: is it possible to smash the inside of your DPF and make it straight thru, without any modifications done to the software?
Highly unlikely. The DPF regens based on a measured pressure differential (probably among other things), so you are likely to go into limp mode almost immediately based on an out-of-range pressure differential measurement.

I suspect that if it were that easy, everyone would have done that by now ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
as you know, part in which dpf resides also contains second catalytic converter. i've learned that if you pull out only the dpf and leave cat inside, and reposition sensors that they now read before and after this cat, you actually can remove dpf without car going into the limp mode and without any remaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts