Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now I have been tormented about whether to get a stage 1 remap whilst leaving the DPF in place on my wife's 170 jtdm and thought I would ask about the experience of fellow Alfa enthusiasts who have had this done to see whether my concerns are justified or not.

Years ago I had a tuning box on a 150 Bora TDI and was impressed with the significant performance and fuel improvements but not the extra smoke it produced. Although not excessive, if it had been DPF equipped, it stands to reason that it would have gone in to regen more often as it had more particles to trap. I appreciate that remaps are regarded as being much more refined and effective etc but I don't want a remap if I am going to be faced with regens every other day or even worse the DPF light on (which we have never seen in over 3 years ownership)

Also has anyone has clutch slip issues with a stage1 remap?

·
Registered
478 Posts
A good remap should not shorten the interval. Only if your typical trip profile goes down in average speed and distance.

I can confirm that, going from 170hp stock to approx. 200hp/430Nm twice, executed consecutively by two fully separate tuning companies.

Also a 50k KM further down the road no clutch issues, but perhaps I’m a too gentle driver most of the time. Equipped with the more beefy F40 transmission plus 1,600Kg of tare mass I think traffic light sprinting isn’t something the 159 excels in. To me the extra grunt in 4th and 5th gear, plus more smoothly running through its powerband absolutely put the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
According to my handbook a 2.0JTDm "only" weighs 1490kg...still no light weight....but not 1600kg. These later models were about 50kg light than the pre facelift models to.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Without stating the "bleedin obvious" (please forgive the gratuitous plagiarism Mr Cleese) the reason I'm seriously considering a remap is to improve the slight feeling that the car is restricted and being held back as well as potentially better fuel economy.

Purely in the interests of accuracy, my wife's car weights just a bit less than the moon at 1540kg as its a late ti Sportwagon, so in reality, it places a bit too much emphasis on the wagon and not enough on the sport. That said we both love it and having had countless soulless "premium" German cars that have been less reliable and much more painful on the eye, we wont be selling!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Just to say about you wanting better fuel consumption. On various cars I've had a couple of maps and three boxes. All of them claimed better mpg...not one delivered. They all had lots more power but at the very best the fuel use was the same. And that was driving "normally".....use any of that extra performance and is was obviously worse. They all claim that the extra torque allows you to be in a higher gear earlier...and that's were you save fuel. When in the auto I had it went into top no earlier than 44 MPH....no tuning box changed that. And on the manuals I noticed absolutely no difference..even changing up earlier and using the torque. This was measured tank top to tank top.....so as accurate as possible to measure mpg. However the computers in these cars all showed MASSIVE improvements in mpg. Lol. A by product of the tuning letting in extra fuel and the cars computer not knowing about it. So before anyone claims and extra 100 brake and 10 mpg better (which is what my Jeep showed (auto) when it was in fact about 1 mpg worse !! LOL!)...make an accurate measurement. Difficult to beat physics with an map I think....unless you change something mechanically to make the car more efficient (or change the weight or aerodynamics of the car) it will take a certain amount of fuel to move it at a certain speed and accelerate there. Ymmv..literally I guess!

·
Registered
478 Posts
That’s odd, with both experiences I have so far neither one of them made difference to the trip computer. In reality it is almost spot-on compared to each and every time refilling brim to brim.

(My car’s registration title btw says 1,615Kg mass “ready-to-go”)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts