Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 147JTDm is ready to find out if it's been remapped or not by the last owner as last time my MAF and clutch failed for a power run if not then I'm in for the Egr delete and map. I'm based in Redhill Surrey what are my best option? After recently reading pro and cons on a few of the companies people have used.. I'm not not where us best I don't mind travelling but not to far

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
AHM is nearest to you I think, theyve got a good reputation for remaps.

I thought yours was a JTD Mjet, not a JTDm, or have you got another 147 as well now !?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHM is nearest to you I think, theyve got a good reputation for remaps.

I thought yours was a JTD Mjet, not a JTDm, or have you got another 147 as well now !?

Yes it's a mjet always thought jtdm was a mjet?

Any link for AMH?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
No, there was the JTD which was unijet, the JTD Mulitjet (shortened to mjet) which was mulitjet (obviously), then the JTDm.

JTDms are the same basic engine but with some mods - a different air intake with swirl flaps for instance. The "m" stands for "modificata", Italian for "modification". The mods reduced the CO2 output from 176g/km to 165g/km, dropping it down 2 bands . . . at least on GTs, for some inexplicable reason, the exact same JTDm 16v engine in a 147 has the same CO2 rating as the JTD multijet. Its like they couldnt be bothered to re-test the 147 with the same engine, even though it would have reduced the CO2 band by one group and even though they sold more 147s than GTs. Its also hard to see how only an extra 55kg to drag around (the GT 1.9 16v is 55kg heavier than the 147 1.9 16v 5 door) made the engine pump out 19g/km more CO2 in a GT in the first place. If such a small increase in weight makes such a difference, why didnt the 20 kg lighter 3 door 147 have a lower CO2 rating than the 5 door ? Go figure.

AHM :

AHM AlfaFiatCare

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
The JTD Multijet should also be a bit quieter than the earlier JTD

Instead of one single fuel injection per combustion even there are several (hence the term multijet) this makes the fuel burn more smoothly and you get a bit less clatter.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
And one single injection is why the JTD were called "unijet" :)

Unfortunately 1.9s with multijet are very variable in their sound - I ve had 2 pretty quiet ones and 2 pretty rattly ones.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Have you any theories as to why they were quieter/louder?

Injector wear/dirt etc?

Most of the 1.9's I have heard have been pretty loud. The worst of which was in a (new at the time) 2008 Vauxhall Zafira which was owned by my former employer.

It was dreadful, even compared to the older 2002 Citroen C5 that they also owned.

I would like to get my Giulietta remapped, but I am worried about things like transmission life, as the box isn't known to be massively robust.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Dunno, I ve thought it might be something to do with how the cambelt is done. I ve had a 53 147 16v mjet, a 54 147 16v mjet and they were pretty smoothish, but I know of two 53 156 1.9 16v mjets that were both much louder and more rattly. I know engine installation can make a difference to noise, but I really cant see why it would in this case - the 147 and 156 are pretty much modified versions of the same car. And I ve got two 147 Ducati Corses and theyre both rattly like the 1.9 16v mjets in the 156s I just mentioned, which I think proves its not down to body style.

My 54 147 had the cam belt done at Autolusso, one of the two 156s had the belt done by the owner, the other by a "normal" garage, thats why I had a vague idea it might be the more experienced the garage is with JTDs might make a difference, or maybe the parts supplier, different belt maybe.

The Ducatis have a plastic intake manifold so I thought maybe that could be it - the heavier alloy ones might absorb sound better . . . but ALL 156s had the alloy intakes, so it cant be that.

So, dunno, the way theyve been used throughout their life ? (all mine had at least 95,000 on them when I got them, those two 156s I mentiond had 100,00 + on them)

Its a shame as the non rattly ones sound pretty good I think, not as nice as the 2.4 but still not bad.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool nice input mine definitely a mjet but is quite rattly in truth

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It might not be injector noise at all. When I replaced the head on my 79k 1.9 16v after swirl flap mayhem (and a major top-end rattle due to 2 bent valves), most of the hydraulic lifters were fairly seized up with sludge. Compressing them gently in a vice then working them in brake cleaner freed them off. Now the engine rattles like a taxi on cold start but once the oil is circulating the rattle begins to diminish, and once the temp gauge has got to about 60-70 it's gone. Thereafter the engine noise is quiet and smooth.

There is one slightly prominent injector 'click' when cold, on #3, and that has a rather extreme correction factor. But once it's warmed up, it matches the others. However I don't know whether this is cause or effect (cold oil + uneven valve clearances causing greater correction v. some fault with the injector or electrical connection that disappears when warm). #3 was the cylinder that had swirl flap damage, so it could be the injector took a beating despite appearing unmarked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts