Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.... I have a dilemma....

Do I go for a ECU remap or Diesel Tuning Box....

A mate has a 105hp Diesel 2006 Seat Leon and has just bought (on my advice ;);) ) a "PD Tuning Box" for the massive sum of £20 off Flea-bay, more to trial the claims for my own purpose. It claims to take it to 140hp and to be honest I think that it is not far off?... It is a massive wallop of power when on boost, and dies off (but I am now used to the variable vane turbo that pulls through the revs) but it did that anyway and no where near the kick in the back that it now has... plus he is getting 6-8 mpg more in "real world" driving....

So do I buy a "Tuning Box" as there are loads about for £100 or so (if not good, will sell back on e-bay) or do I just get it remapped?.... if the claims that my 140hp JTD can chuck out 180+ with either a box or remap then I will be MORE than happy!!!

I know it will need a clutch (it is on it way out anyway!!) and will uprate that anyway??

Any views from people on both sides of the fence?????

Thank you all!!!

Reedy

:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Go for a tuning box IF you know that it's come from somewhere reputable (Autodelta, Mangoletsi etc), other wise I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll (as you just don't know what damage they're doing) ...

... personally I'd go for a custom remap, just because they tuned to YOUR car rather than just being generic

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
+1 a good tuning box or a rolling road remap.

Just had my egr etc cleaned out, I'd ran a tuning box for about 25k it was so clogged up. Due go the way a cheaper tuning box over fuels it.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
+1 a good tuning box or a rolling road remap.

Just had my egr etc cleaned out, I'd ran a tuning box for about 25k it was so clogged up. Due go the way a cheaper tuning box over fuels it.

A good remapper can switch off the EGR valve too :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Yeah but I heard that can cause it's own problems in the long run.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I think the ecu learns to compensate for a cheaper tuning box over time.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yeah but I heard that can cause it's own problems in the long run.
What problems? I can't think of any problem that you would get from stopping the EGR :confused:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I'm very happy with steinbauer tuning box. Pricey but in my opinion worth the money
That's cause it's a good one, keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
From the way I understand it, a tuning box only changes one or two parameters such as increasing the fuel pressure or the boost pressure but it doesn't vary other parameters to match these. A custom remap changes everything to suit and its done based on your particular engine.

As regards to taking the EGR out of the system, its blanking them off that can cause problems. Again, a custom remap will vary other settings within the engine to take into account that the EGR is switched off.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I think the ecu learns to compensate for a cheaper tuning box over time.
Nope, ECU's don't "learn" in that way ... how could they? a tuning box tricks the inputs to the ECU so it thinks that everything is normal ... also JTDs don't have lamda sensors therefore there is nothing measuring out exit conditions of the engine

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A good remapper can switch off the EGR valve too :thumbs:
Already got my EGR blanked off anyway!! :thumbs:

Runs smoother and pulls stronger when off boost....

Interesting range of views really, would LIKE to remap, but it is permanent and the box can be removed, there is one on e-bay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-14...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a698dcf9 ) that is looking reputable and has good reviews and all...

If I could get a remap for £150ish I would go that way, but I will just have to see what comes up! :D I'm not tight or anything, but believe in perceived value for money!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
As regards to taking the EGR out of the system, its blanking them off that can cause problems. Again, a custom remap will vary other settings within the engine to take into account that the EGR is switched off.

You can't blank off the modern diesel EGR valves because the ECU can detect this and will raise a MCSF

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If I could get a remap for £150ish I would go that way, but I will just have to see what comes up! :D I'm not tight or anything, but believe in perceived value for money!!

£150 you've going to get a pretty **** remap I'm afraid ... £300-£350 is the going rate ... your car is the same as mine and I got an extra 50bhp out of my remap, £ per bhp it is a bargain

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apart from polluting our lovely green planet:lol:
+1 / -10000000000000000 :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Stop cows from farting and it will have more impact than a valve that stops exhaust gasses (NOx) that are not even tested for on the current UK MOT!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
£150 you've going to get a pretty **** remap I'm afraid ... £300-£350 is the going rate ... your car is the same as mine and I got an extra 50bhp out of my remap, £ per bhp it is a bargain
Angel Tuning do them at shows for £175 or so don't they?.... £250 at their gaff and £275 if they come to you??.. (Note To Self: Check AngelTuning Website!!)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Angel Tuning do them at shows for £175 or so don't they?.... £250 at their gaff and £275 if they come to you??.. (Note To Self: Check AngelTuning Website!!)
If I was you I'd pop over the Pennines and go see Gus at AlfaTune ... you'll get a far better car back at the end :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ok must just be mine that has stopped working properly, I can't tell the difference when removed top end.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts