Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've booked a remap with Celtic Tuning tomorrow and will report back with how things went after it's all done and I've had a chance to test it out.

I know the arguments in favour of rolling roads and custom settings and also whether the Celtic remap is a bit too much for this engines but we will see how things go..

dc

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Best of luck, let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic.. My GT was remapped on Wednesday when a bloke from Celtic Tuning arrived, downloaded my car's settings and then uploaded the revised ones from down in Cornwall and off I went to test them.

The power is so much greater now, particularly in third when things really take off if you accelerate hard. I've just been on a 200 mile round trip and although I went as fast as I could the fuel consumption was reported as 51mpg. I know sometimes these computer outputs can be a bit out but I can tell from the amount of fuel I put it that things have improved.

It's a bit like when I had my Brera remapped some years back. The car is transformed into what it should have been like from the start...

Celtic Tuning are very professional and in my opinion well worth paying £313 for this remap.

One final point. Their remap man isn't some franchisee, he comes up from Cornwall and carries out a whole load of remaps all over the area and then goes back to far away Cornwall..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more days with the remap and things are still going great. Well worth the money for such a transformation in performance.

Now what I need is the Q2 or Quaife diff fitted. I've just found out Autolusso aren't a million miles from me and seem to be very competitive price wise.

dc

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Please dont post stuff like that here again........ I cant afford to get anything else done atm ;)

thats pretty good power! how does the car drive now? I have heard that people say they arnt so drivable with big bhp?

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
As request, here is the after figures for my Celtic Tuning remap. Looks pretty impressive to me..
Judging by the date on the picture that's not your car making that power is it? Presumably another GT 1.9 with the same map?

You should take it to a rolling road day, as figures are meaningless without other cars to compare to. I've know GTAs to make 245bhp on some rollers as 265bhp on others..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's more drivable than before. There is just plenty of power if you need it.

Regarding the graph you are right.. I hadn't noticed the date...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Take care of your clutch matey. Agree on Celtics professionalism, I did a map on demand on my Honda, basically did my own remap, sending the original file to Celtic, they modded it and sent it back then I upped it to the ECU.

Fantastic improvement but by the time I part ex'd it (removed the remap before getting shot) the clutch had pretty much had it in around 10k miles.

That was caused by flooring it in 6th at 40mph all the time instead of changing down as I'm a lazy driver.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I also noted "environment temperature." It hasn't been that warm in a while and that assumes it isn't an operator input figure to make the car "appear" to be giving more power.

Not knocking the remap - they all feel amazing but there are a few tricks that can make a RR show more power than there really is. Also I don't think I have ever seen a real map that smooth so I suggest it is a calculated rather than measured one.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
dc: don't worry about it. It will almost certainly be a calculated map. You will only get a real map for your car if you put it on a rolling road. You are pleased with the results - that is what matters.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ok, stupid question alert:
I dont have a remap (yet..) but if floored in 6th, say from 55mph upwards..how is the clutch wearing quicker?

sorry for the question!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Basicly the same that happend to mine what happends is you get just a little clutch slip at first then a little more then before you know it you have glazed the clutch and its worse on a old clutch with a worn pressure plate, I had mine done the other day and its great now as not only is there no slip but I actualy get some play on the clutch now and not just on and off...... and my clutch wasnt totaly worn as there was quite a bit of meat befor the rivets but it was still shagged lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's hard on the clutch because the amount of torque going through it is much higher. The pulse transmission that has to be damped out by the flywheel is also greater.

My 2.4 JTD 10v was mapped by angel tuning resulting in 190bhp and 300lbs/ft of torque and it ate the clutch inside of 10k miles. The grin factor is immense though! :D

The 1.9 JTD above should have been dyno'd in 4th gear. 5th gives an artificially low bhp figure and an artificially high torque output, not to mention it is extremely hard on the clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Its all about higher torque and the clutch being pushed towards its maximum operating parameters. Its also one of the theories around why cars (particularly turbo'd) aren't mapped this way from the factory. Vehicle manufacturers have to effectively detune their vehicles to a level which provides daily driveability and reliability.

Don't let it put you off a remap IMO they're worth every penny ! Also Honda Civic clutches are notorious for breaking (Especially when going from 137bhhp to 194bhp) and cost a fortune to fix, and I mean twice as much as the GT clutch minimum !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts