Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined tis forum and have read quite a bit concerning remapping of 159 2.2 JTS and others. Does anybody know where I can have this done in South Africa?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
They say remaps are undetectable, but some sources say otherwise, but yes if the dealer finds out that it has been remapped, your warranty will be affected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information guys. Probably just not tell the dealer but then again he might reset everything to normal again.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Yes, its a possibility that the remap can be reset when the car is taken in for a service. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
In My humble opinion,remaps on non turbo cars are a big waste of money,the gains are minimal(even if the tunning companies promise 10 or watever persent gain) and the risk of void warranties is not worth the effort.
I have chipped both a 2.0 ts and a 3.0 v6 24v, minimal gains soon forgotten once u drive the car for a week or so. I have also ram mapped a audi 20v turbo,the gains were more noticable there,but thats purely because u are running the boost up with the new map,ps also broke the motor because of the boost gain,so all in all just dont do it ,its not worth it,if the power is not enough,buy a 159 Q4:) a much bigger gain than mapping is just to have the cat removed from the exhaust,that does offer a real gain without sacrificing reliability,but that WILL void your waranty

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
And ATC are not that great if you want your motor to last !!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
And ATC are not that great if you want your motor to last !!
Please explain that. I ask only because they come recommended by many, but some don't agree. I recently sent a pm to one of them asking why I should not take my car to them but still no reply.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I should also add, I would not re-map your car if you in the Highveld. My car has been re-mapped and whilst in JHB, I felt no real difference. Things change however when you at the coast.

Everytime I am along the coast, this little car goes like a rocket ship. It really is that different.

The problem is, trying to find someone that can re-map it for you that does not have a bad name....:confused:

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
I've had my 155 re-mapped with them, and I was very happy, Some others have had major engine failures and other equally disasterous problems after the re-map. I would rather be safe than sorry.....
I know of quite a few Scoobies that only lasted a few days after the re-map..... the engines get over-revved because part of the re-map is also raising the red-line.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like a remap is a very short term solution, I think I will give it a miss. Hope they don't over price the 1.8 turbo due out next year sometime.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
JA JA JA-can't wait to see that 1.8 Turbo at Frieling Racing...OMW - Turbo cars gain so much from Remap and downpipe.

But mapping a standard car like ALL said is just a waste. They will obviously tell you it will yield gains but it won't! Do an exhaust, cam, and if you really hectic and want more power, a head job!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
has anyone heard of Diesel Torque they apparently remap GT 1.9jtdm?
has anyone used them as they are down the road from me.
Welcome ryan1sss, not many members on here from the Cape... maybe if you had to read up about remapping the GT in the Tech sections, you would be able to see what kind of gains one could get?

They look rather reputable... maybe if you had to contact some one in the Western Cape Alfa Romeo Club, they could assist you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome ryan1sss, not many members on here from the Cape... maybe if you had to read up about remapping the GT in the Tech sections, you would be able to see what kind of gains one could get?

They look rather reputable... maybe if you had to contact some one in the Western Cape Alfa Romeo Club, they could assist you?
THanks, I will try the local club for info before i go to dieseltorque.
I might be getting a remap from Black Angel Tuning from the UK. they are making a special trip to CT:eek::eek:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
yes haha the angel guy told me aswell, pity I wont be able to get the car up to CT..

The guys from the UK rave about their work, so must be good

·
Registered
975 Posts
IMHO there are two ways of looking at re-mapping an NA car.

1 - Re-map a stock car -

Like everyone has said, gains are minimal, and barely noticeable. Only reason would probably be to optimise fuel consumption. Little performance to be gained.

2 - Re-map a modified car -

I speak from experience with my car. After the exhaust was fitted, I had Dastek fit a UniChipQ and do a custom map on the dyno. When I got the car back it felt amazing. Then my UniChipQ failed (it got cracked somehow) and I had to drive a while with the stock ECU map. The car felt completely different. It was definitely much slower. It couldn't optimise the mods. So I would say a re-map, if you do any mods (intake, cams, exhaust, decat), would help to make the car a more pleasurable drive. Especially when done by someone with a good reputation in the specific brand.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
hmmm im really really sceptical about remapping.. honestly if you think of the logistics on a NA car. your gonna do what exactly? advance timing a little. Keep an injector open a little longer? hmmm ok so an injector open a little longer on std fuel pressure.. no no no.. ok so lets clamp the FP regulator and push it up a little.. so now more pressure and more fuel.. ok so where is my air commiong from? butterfly already open so where oh where am i getting more air from.. I honestly dont see fuel gettign better. Woithout opening the motor up and doing some polishing and a skim here and there etc.. i think a chip is a waist of money if the motor is stock.. just my 2c

and ill be man enough to say it.. Stay away from ATC .. its a scam.. nuff said

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A unichip with exhaust made big differences on the 2.0TS and 3.0 / 3.2 V6's that we have done.
Don't think I'll bother with a remap without the exhaust.

Ask N20, we had a 156 2.0TS with full exhaust and chip, it felt like a 2.5 V6.
Torque in the low rpm improved a lot aswell!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts