Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

It's insurance renewal time and guilt is getting the better of me. I want to come clean and declare my Angel remap to an insurer who won't charge loads extra for it. I've spoken to Adrian Flux and even with the AO discount, they are very expensive.

Can you recommend a mainstream insurer that won't mind the remap. I've heard that Elephant.co.uk are supposed to be pretty good?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Guilt finally got the better of you?!?!? :confused: :lol:

Not sure many insurers will touch you with that mod tbh. I'd just stay shtum if I were you.
There's no physical changes and no diagnostic equipment will show the remap. Unless they put it on a rolling road - which is unlikely, espcially if you have to make a write-off claim.;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got an on line quote from Elephant.co.uk. Interestingly they cover remaps/chips at 3 power increase levels: 0-10%, 11-25%, 25%+. 0-10% increase added very little to the premium (about £20) while 11-25% added about £100.

Now if I declare the former that gives me up to 220bhp. To be honest I don't know how much it's pushing out (about 250bhp?) and I'm sure the insurance company won't either. At least in the event of a claim the remap has been declared.

Worth knowing that cover is available though.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Its worth knowing indeed. Would make interesting reading.
Youre 1 step ahead of me with the re-map, but I'm not going to declare it to the insurers TBH.
You should be putting out 250bhp BTW .... ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfa20V said:
Youre 1 step ahead of me with the re-map
Have you got a treat in store! Every other post I make is about my remap because I'm sooooo chuffed with it even after 3 months. It's gone from slug to rocket ship and after 6000 miles is running absolutely fine.

One word of advice though is ask Nigel to get the most from it, I have one very minor post-remap issue with mine which I asked them to fix. The updated map fixed the problem but lost half the power so I told them I'd live with the glitch and drive around it. :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is the boost guage needle oscillates between 1.2 - 1.4 bar. Only happens when you bury the throttle at peak torque (about 2500 rpm) in 4th, 5th or 6th. It's like the sudden demand for fuel/boost under heavy load is too much. If you instead progressively "squeeze" the throttle to 100% the problem goes away. All I know is reducing the fuel/boost pressure fixes it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wormus

try confused.com for a quote for motor insurance. They were ~£200 cheaper for me than elephant. However, I'm based in Belfast, so that could explain why elephant are dear for me.

Also, could you go into more detail about the glitch in the remap? Does it mean that you can't "plant" the car in 4th, 5th and 6th but instead, you have to lightly accelerate? Also, do you think that if the remap causes such peculiar behaviour, it could cause more serious problems down the line?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll give confused.com a try. Don't worry about the glitch in the remap - I think it's something specific to my car and doesn't affect the overall performance, I can still floor it in all gears, I've got a (slightly) flickering boost needle that's all; if you were a passenger you wouldn't even notice it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts