Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used remanufactured drive shafts? Mine is about gone, so maybe someone know whats involved in remanufacturing process. Do they just change the axle spider and put new boots on?
ta

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,185 Posts
Has anyone used remanufactured drive shafts? Mine is about gone, so maybe someone know whats involved in remanufacturing process. Do they just change the axle spider and put new boots on?
ta
I had drive shafts replaced under (Alfa) warranty, and the invoice (zero value) said (re-manufactured)

·
Banned
413 Posts
All it is
CV joint one end spider axle on the other a couple of boots/greese
you can order the part or parts needed off the net any garage can rebuild a drive shaft

what are your symptoms driveshafts on 159/Brera should be still good

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine needs intermediate joint. I know i can get spider for few quids, but getting my hands on shaft and cup ...
I did NS last year, got parts from italy. Found a shop that sells parts i need for 350 euros, but that must be near new driveshaft price from alfa. Im taking shaft off this weekend, to inspect cup damage. If its not marked ( i doubt) i will get new spider, but if not, then remanufactured. I might take remanufactured a part to inspect wear on joints.
shame it will not be under warranty, cause i fitted it myself...
ta

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
Took the CV part of the driveshaft off, and most of the grease poured out of middle joint, just like warm custard.
Inspected the cup - slightly shiny, but could not feel any wear. And no play in the spider bearings.
So i repacked with quality CV/UJ grease.
A week of driving - driveshaft still like new. Time will show.
I reckon, that original grease was far to liquidized, and with centrifugal force - there was nothing left on the spider joint.
cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts