Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried relocating the battery in a GTA to the back, in order to get less wight on the front wheels? Or is it a bad idea? A couple of searches didn't bring anything up.

DJ
--

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't think that changing the position of the battery will make much of a difference in performance ... the only reason I've seen for moving the battery is to get more space in the engine bay to put in better air flow to the engine ...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, all things help in theory :)

How a bout a dry cell battry in the spare wheel well?
I suppose one would have to adjust the springs to match, adding adjustable coilovers to the cost (and performance)....

Hmm...

DJ
--

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I think it is a good idea personally, but you need to run some good think cables I imagine to maintain current strength. I really don't think that changing springs / shocks is really necessary, unless you wanted to of course, as passengers weigh more than a battery and they sit all over the place!

E.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Simpler, and probably better overall, is just to replace your existing battery in the same location, with an Odessey Dry Cell unit, weighing only 5 kg or so. The reduction in weight of 12 Kg over your front axle will give some relief to the front suspension and will help it resist bottoming out.

Remember, these small dry cells will start your car, but if you leave anything on, anything, while the engine is stopped, the battery will run flat in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
Moving the battery to the back is not a good idea.
On a road car it is only ever done if there is no room for the battery in the engine bay.

Moving the weight of the battery to the very back plus the weight of the truly massive battery cables you would need to run the length of the car is not what you want.

On a racer the weight would be moved to the centre of the wheelbase, ie right where your passenger seat is. So not an option on the road.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK folks - you have convinced med not to go further with this idea. Thank you!

I may go for a dry cell battery in the original location when the current one needs replacement. It would've been interesting to experience the redistribution of weight (it's got to help some!), but I guess it's too much of a mod for a road car. Alfa should have though of this originally though ;)

DJ
--

G

·
why not put something that weighs 40kg in the boot to experience a similar weight re distribution.

like a small child for example.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Chris155 did it.

Should be in his 2.5 -> GTA conversion thread in the tuning lounge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts