Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums as I'm looking to swap my Rover 25 for an Alfa 147 in a few months. My main concern is Alfa's reputation regarding reliability...

Now we all know the stereotypical head gasket failure the Rover K series engine suffers from... but this is blown out of all proportion and is largely down to lack of maintenance.

Alfa's, likewise, have an awful reputation for reliability... Is this again blown out of all proportion or should I expect more problems than with another car? If so, what's the main downfall? The engine? Electrics? General build quality?

Any comments or advice appreciated :)

Also, looking at either the 2.0 TS or the 1.9 JTD. Anything I should look out for in either of these... or with the 147 in general?

M

·
0 Posts
You tend to here horrors about Alfa's reliability but they aren't that bad. With all manufacturers you do get good and bad. I think the only real problem is the cambelt on petrol versions which Alfa now advise to be changed at 36,000 miles and oil comsuption( Alfa say 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles). The diesel powered 147 don't really tend to any grief at all.:)

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
In my experience Alfa's are more reliable than Rovers. Just make sure the oil is kept topped up and the cambelt changed every 36,000 miles and you should be ok.

I would personally avoid the selespeed as this can be troublesome.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Like any car, get a good one and it'll be reliable, get a bad one and it'll drive you mad. The reliability reputation is unfounded in my opinion, trotted out by journalist for cheap column inches, and repeated by sheep in every bar / baa in the land.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Your main concern should be that the alfa is so much better than the 25.
Looks, handling, styling.................
The 2.0 TS engine is great fun - comes alive above 3000 rpm.

If you haven't driven one you must!
Having driven a 25 (or the more modern sporty type one) and the 147 I can honestly say that the 147 will be a revelation - and you can't bottle that kind of thing.

Not too sure about the other engines or reliability but there's loads of info on the various threads and I'm sure that other members will add useful comments regarding relaibility.
In my experience of deciding "do I want an alfa given that they have a terrible reputation a la - Another Lame F'ing Alfa?" I looked at the information in detail, great detail, and decided that, as you say, an Alfa is no worse then any other car. If you look after it and service it right you will own a reliable car, if you don't then sure it will break down.
Good luck - and go for it!
As one wise Alfaowner member said in one of my threads "do it, you won't look back". Time will tell, but thus far I am a very happy bunny. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You tend to here horrors about Alfa's reliability but they aren't that bad. With all manufacturers you do get good and bad. I think the only real problem is the cambelt on petrol versions which Alfa now advise to be changed at 36,000 miles and oil comsuption( Alfa say 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles). The diesel powered 147 don't really tend to any grief at all.:)
I think 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles is fairly typical - my Rover states the same. I'd be horrified if I got through a litre of oil every month though! :D

I'm tending towards the diesel anyway so that's good to hear

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
The main thing to watch is that they do not like neglect. If it is serviced correctly and looked after it will be ok. But if an Alfa is neglected it will suffer worse than most. Thats my stance on the subject. ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
In general, [email protected] dealers & poor part availablity are problem. Silly little things go wrong but it takes 2 visits to fix, usually a couple of weeks apart. 1 to diagnose, 1 to (hopefully) fix :mad:

As said elswhere, suspension bushes, cambelts & oil useage. Maintain it well and you'll (usually) be just fine :cool:

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
As the guy`s have said previously,but better than some other well known (German) makes.I`m thoroughly enjoying my 1st alfa experience. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
To date my Frauleins 147 2.0 litre, has behaved well nigh perfectly. Agree with the majority of the above comments, in spite of it being a Selespeed, which both my wife and myself thoroughly enjoy driving.Purchase a good one that has regularly had good servicing,not been thrashed, run low on oil, any belt, stretcher, idler problems sorted, what a car!! Love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts