Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Newcomer to this forum, I'm doing some research on the 2018/9 Giulietta with the view to buying one soonish.

Any long-term concerns or reliability issues with the 1.6 JTDM engine?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
345 Posts
1.6 JTDm is the dignified successor of 1.9 JTD. It's one good engine, not important issues from birth except coolant leak from EGR (yeah always EGRs), good reliability and performance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's very good to hear.

Yeah, even on my Defender Puma there's been issues with the EGR. I eventually got it remapped shut, so no more EGR issues.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
The 1.6 and 2.0 JTDm are pretty bullet proof as long as long as they have the cambelt and waterpump replaced on time and the oil is changed at less than 10,000 mile intervals. The only issue really is the EGR cooler cover.

You do hear of a issues with the Vauxhall version of the 2.0 diesel, but the Alfa one doesn't seem to suffer.

They are a bit agricultural though, compared to other modern diesel engines.

Reactions: Naks

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Thank you, that's very good to hear.

Yeah, even on my Defender Puma there's been issues with the EGR. I eventually got it remapped shut, so no more EGR issues.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Getting it mapped out won't stop the egr cooler leaking...water still flows through it regardless. I had to replace mine on my 2.0 JTDm...easy job though.

Reactions: Naks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a Mito with the 1.6 diesel for about 3 years/40k miles. Good performance from it in the Mito, for a diesel it was pretty happy to rev too so great for overtaking. I got between 45-50mpg with a lot of town driving and a heavy right foot. On longer runs it would be low to mid 50s.

The one issue I had, as mentioned by others, was the EGR casing. This is a plastic part and it would crack, leaking coolant. Mine was replaced twice, the second time the part was under warranty so it was at least free but it did make me lose a little confidence so was constantly checking the coolant levels. I guess good practice but for the wrong reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts