Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some days ago I asked about the existence of ACC wire in 147 ISO plug. The answer was no because it is controlled by CAN BUS. So I decided to connect my CLARION 807e navigation unit directly to the battery (from the distributor I use for the amplifier) via a switch and a relay. The problem is that I have no idea what is the orientation of the relay contacts I have. The relay is a HELLA with 4 contacts. Can any friend help with the schematics I show below?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Pin 85 and 86 on the relay is the coil, pin 30 is the permanent 12V and pin 87 is the switched 12V.
What should control the relay?
If you want to have the relay controlled by the ignition you need to find a 12V that is present when the ignition is ON and do the following connection:
Connect pin 85 to the 12V that is present when ignition is ON
Connect pin 86 to earth (Chassis)
Connect pin 30 to the battery through a fuse
And connect pin 87 to what ever need a switched 12V

·
Registered
842 Posts
Although there is no switched live in the 147 iso loom you may have a white plug near the other stereo cables there should be a sw+ there otherwise you can piggy back off the SW+ on the cigar lighter socket.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pin 85 and 86 on the relay is the coil, pin 30 is the permanent 12V and pin 87 is the switched 12V.
What should control the relay?
If you want to have the relay controlled by the ignition you need to find a 12V that is present when the ignition is ON and do the following connection:
Connect pin 85 to the 12V that is present when ignition is ON
Connect pin 86 to earth (Chassis)
Connect pin 30 to the battery through a fuse
And connect pin 87 to what ever need a switched 12V
I intend to connect the r/cd (navigation in my case) acc directly to 12v via a switch and a relay because I want to listen to the radio even when the engine is not running. In that case I suppose I have to connect 85 and 30 to +12v, 86 to earth and 87 to the r/cd acc. Am I correct? In case you wonder why a switch is necessary, that is because the clarion does not have an ''off'' button.
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
My question is more why you need a relay at all, you could just use a simple switch in your case

However, note that if you forget to switch off your radio, you run the risk of draining your battery, as the radio no longer switches on/off with the ignition !
Safer is to just connect the switched +12 of the radio to the wire of the cigarette lighter. Of course you're right, you won't be able to use the radio with ignition switched off in that case (unless you switch on the ignition of course), but you won't run the risk of an empty battery.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is more why you need a relay at all, you could just use a simple switch in your case

However, note that if you forget to switch off your radio, you run the risk of draining your battery, as the radio no longer switches on/off with the ignition !
Safer is to just connect the switched +12 of the radio to the wire of the cigarette lighter. Of course you're right, you won't be able to use the radio with ignition switched off in that case (unless you switch on the ignition of course), but you won't run the risk of an empty battery.
I have made a small panel (picture) for the 2 usb and 1 hdmi from clarion 807e. As I really don't need 2 usb, I've already made a similar panel with a switch with a bright red led in the place of the one usb. The led is in front of my eyes, so it's nearly impossible to forget it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts