Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have what I can describe as a relay going crazy and clicking when some steering lock is applied. I first thought the relay sound was coming from a the fuse box but it seems to be coming from behind the wheel/clock spring area.

I have had the odd 'VDC fault' come on the dash at times, believe I got a fault code of "steering wheel squib resistance" or something.

However, no lights on dash, drives fine and seems to go away after 10mins of driving. Comes on when certain angles of steering applied.

Sounds like a relay going nuts in the clockspring area. However, does the actual clockspring assembly feature a relay???

Cheers

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
There’s no relays it’s just a rotary connector,is it when you are turning steering or when holding the lock?
If when turning I would say something has broken on the squib probably something to do with indicator cancelling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s no relays it’s just a rotary connector,is it when you are turning steering or when holding the lock?
If when turning I would say something has broken on the squib probably something to do with indicator cancelling.
Its sporadic, seems to happen once the lock is applied, will click like crazy and the stop after 30 seconds or so. Then, when applying lock another time it will start again. Bizarre, definetly sounds like a relay. Will check the fuse box again to check but I am pretty sure its not coming from the in-car fuse box below.

Indicators functioning fine, (sometimes have issue with right rear lamp not working due to corroded connector that gets cleaned every couple months then works fine for a bit), I don't have any sidelights which is a separate issue. Fault reading for airbag squib and cigarette lighter circuit but no airbag lights and lighter working fine.

My 147 undergoing a lot of love at the moment thanks to my job I can blag a few parts for her otherwise she would probably be scrapped (suspension arms, wheel bearing, welding up the floor and body tidy up soon). Damn Alfa electrics :grumpy:

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Clock Spring unit needs replacing.

Reactions: Fruity

·
Registered
680 Posts
HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I gotta be honest, never even went anywhere near that thought. One just naturally assumes the noise he was referring to was INSIDE the cabin. But we know what happens when we assume . . . . :silly:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts