Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't even want to think how much these new models are going to cost.

Alfa need to give their fans something though. We've been waiting so ****ing long and there's still not even a leak of a potential design. Give us something, please?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hot air:rolleyes:
V6 v8 with turbo's nice:cool:
In what and who will be buying it :confused:
Bread and butter cars are needed!!!
C class and 3 series contenders:mad:
The G should compleat with the A &1 series but it is already pasts it's prime and can not even compete with the lowly VW GTI:eek:

So how will a range of big v twin turbo motors help with fuel probably turning at R16 L by the end of this year

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hot air:rolleyes:
V6 v8 with turbo's nice:cool:
In what and who will be buying it :confused:
Bread and butter cars are needed!!!
C class and 3 series contenders:mad:
The G should compleat with the A &1 series but it is already pasts it's prime and can not even compete with the lowly VW GTI:eek:

So how will a range of big v twin turbo motors help with fuel probably turning at R16 L by the end of this year
Well, if they're making it a more premium brand then petrol price shouldn't really be an issue. If you can afford to buy a car for over R 600,000.00, and this is what I anticipate these cars to cost, then you should be able to afford whatever the cost of petrol is. I think the more pressing issue is why they are going in this particular direction? It's almost like they've given up competing with Audi, BMW etc and have now jumped up a level to compete with Jaguar for instance. Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
They lost the plot.
Mercedes is as premium as it get and the bulk of sales do not come from the 400 "V6 twin turbo" or 500 "V8twin turbo" it is 180 "1.6turbo" and 200 / 250 "1.8 turbo" with the 2.2diesel derivatives that keep the brand alive.

Why not BMW and Audi in your opinion?
Both come with 4,6,8 and 10 cylinder motors in the range.

Bottom line you do not decide to build a premium brand because you want to, ask Audi you spend years proving your metal

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
hahaha i can only laugh and throw my hands up in the air with Alfa Nowadays, most people start at the front with the little cars and expand their range, its proven to work even when alfa first released the mito and Giulietta, like it or not, those 2 little cars saved our skins from being cut.

But now it seems they decided to start from the back with a mini supercar and working their way down :confused::confused:

Italian Flair Strikes again :cheese:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Let's hope they do and it is a hit like the 156 was in the 90's.
That car had them back in the premium brand segment. Unfortunately they could not follow up on its success

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I have no problem with them trying to break into the R800 000+ market, as long as it isn't at the expense of the more basic cars, which I am afraid it will be...
What's the point of Alfa trying to compete against Maserati?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Maseratis don't cost R800k. Alfa will bridge the gap between Fiat and Maserati with a variety of engine models to choose from. There will be smaller engines as well as smaller turbo engines which are cheaper than v6 or v8 engines. The world drive towards efficiency will ensure this happens. And about the Mito and G: they are currently not doing much to help the brand if you see how sales are slipping. There was a time when the 156 and 147 were enough to keep the brand going with the odd 166 also being sold alongside. This is not happening now.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Maseratis don't cost R800k. Alfa will bridge the gap between Fiat and Maserati with a variety of engine models to choose from. There will be smaller engines as well as smaller turbo engines which are cheaper than v6 or v8 engines. The world drive towards efficiency will ensure this happens. And about the Mito and G: they are currenrly not doing much to help the brand if you see how sales are slipping. There was a time when the 156 and 147 were enough to keep the brand foing with the odd 166 also being sold alongside. This is not happening now.
Well, I was guessing at what a Ghibli might cost in South Africa - similar pricing to a mid-range 5-series or something like that, not so?
I think you're right though - they will fit smaller engines too if they have any sense. They haven't demonstrated much of that recently, though. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but not always.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Well, I was guessing at what a Ghibli might cost in South Africa - similar pricing to a mid-range 5-series or something like that, not so?
I think you're right though - they will fit smaller engines too if they have any sense. They haven't demonstrated much of that recently, though. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but not always.
Ghibli will be US$75k ish starting price I think. So probably over a bar here.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Alfa needs new management - people who are realistic with common sense.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Alfa needs new management - people who are realistic with common sense.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Management need to be enthusiasts and not accountants
I don't think Alfa would do too badly with a bit more "accountancy". To my mind, the possible profit from selling a million cheap-ish cars that didn't cost a massive packet to develop outweighs the possible profit to be made from selling a hundred thousand luxury cars.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts