1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facebook
Whatsapp
Twitter...

It's not going to go away people. I have noticed recently that there is more action on the AlfaOwnwer South Africa FB page than on the forum it's self, despite the forum being a source of a wealth of information.

We need to adapt or the forum will die. How do we keep people coming back to the forum then?

I don't know. Anyone have any ideas? :paranoid:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Of particular importance is the forum as "a source of a wealth of information". On FB and Whatsapp or wherever the knowledge shared is fleeting and disappears (or at least is very hard to search for).
If someone asks a question on FB today and gets an answer tomorrow, in a month's time it'll be very hard for another person with the same problem to have access to that answer from a month ago.

This is why the forum is particularly important - the knowledge shared and solutions to problems remain, easily accessible to others.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I agree. I raised this concern way back when the milano works facebook page came to life.

But its not only the SA forum having issues - last week I read about someone else asking the exact same thing.

Is forums maybe dying as a whole ?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The content here has become stale and slow to a certain extent. Even this thread is testament to it - one only a very few active threads for the day

I know even my build threads are not highly entertaining at the moment - But that is the truth of the matter - at the moment I am grafting at small, time consuming things that does not directly have a wow factor. In between I am training for the Comrades marathon that kills a lot of time and I have other projects at home. So yeah time is limited to progress quickly through the build, let alone take interesting picture and do write ups.

I think it is a time thing, combined with Giorget's idea that FB is a more instant gratification platform. FB will kill forums for the masses out there, and forums will only attract the die-hard's

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I agree. I raised this concern way back when the milano works facebook page came to life.

But its not only the SA forum having issues - last week I read about someone else asking the exact same thing.

Hokaai...

Milano Works 300 membahs strong. When we came up with the idea we stated why...and you were particularly vocal that time...

Go and ask a question right now, I guarantee atleast 3 answers in less than 15mins... The most active forums online in SA is the MyBB forum, simply because its for people who sit infront of a PC all day and they are NOT busy all day doing work, therefore...MyBB.

Times have evolved and social media is an integral part of people's lives, your hobbies are as accessible these days on IG/FB as your family daily doings, is it a bad thing...no.

Social media transcends differences in age, preference, race, geographical area etc.

In my opinion this forum started with its liver cancer when the MODS decided to take it off of the Tapatalk platform...you phone/tablet/pc is the key to accessing all these mediums, the phone being the biggest contributor in terms of accessibility. Tapatalk is great on ALL other forums, I can be away from the work or home PC and still be on the forum and get updates. With facebook, I can access my hobby all the time no matter the access point.

Milano Works is growing daily, a great source of banter/information/classifieds/updates etc...M|W ftw.:teacher::readit:

If you are NOT on Milano Works, what the hell are you doing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hokaai...

Milano Works 300 membahs strong. When we came up with the idea we stated why...and you were particularly vocal that time...

Go and ask a question right now, I guarantee atleast 3 answers in less than 15mins... The most active forums online in SA is the MyBB forum, simply because its for people who sit infront of a PC all day and they are NOT busy all day doing work, therefore...MyBB.

Times have evolved and social media is an integral part of people's lives, your hobbies are as accessible these days on IG/FB as your family daily doings, is it a bad thing...no.

Social media transcends differences in age, preference, race, geographical area etc.

In my opinion this forum started with its liver cancer when the MODS decided to take it off of the Tapatalk platform...you phone/tablet/pc is the key to accessing all these mediums, the phone being the biggest contributor in terms of accessibility. Tapatalk is great on ALL other forums, I can be away from the work or home PC and still be on the forum and get updates. With facebook, I can access my hobby all the time no matter the access point.

Milano Works is growing daily, a great source of banter/information/classifieds/updates etc...M|W ftw.:teacher::readit:

Guili, please tell me how to find Milano Works on FB. I submitted a request to join the group a few months ago, when I came across it quite by accident - never got a response. Now I can't find it at all, despite numerous searches.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The content here has become stale and slow to a certain extent. Even this thread is testament to it - one only a very few active threads for the day

I know even my build threads are not highly entertaining at the moment - But that is the truth of the matter - at the moment I am grafting at small, time consuming things that does not directly have a wow factor. In between I am training for the Comrades marathon that kills a lot of time and I have other projects at home. So yeah time is limited to progress quickly through the build, let alone take interesting picture and do write ups.

I think it is a time thing, combined with Giorget's idea that FB is a more instant gratification platform. FB will kill forums for the masses out there, and forums will only attract the die-hard's
Clever.

I disagree. When I am on the forum, which is not as often as always, I have a specific need to fulfill...where can I get 156 body kit...NOT a single answer.:read: I post on FB...boom...answers. It is NOT for die hards, in fact a die hard Alfa fan will get his/her fix any which way possible, and usually the fastest way will do considering this person is a die hard, ala junkie...fast is always better, fast with minimal effort even greater. If you were referring to die hard PC forum people...yes.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I am the approver, we get atleast 5 or less spam requests a day...so I have to vet each and every requestor...what's your name I'll look out for it when you request membership to the group. Search on FB Milano Works and request membership, I'll approve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am the approver, we get atleast 5 or less spam requests a day...so I have to vet each and every requestor...what's your name I'll look out for it when you request membership to the group. Search on FB Milano Works and request membership, I'll approve.
Thanks. PM sent.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hokaai...

No disrespect intended but I didn't mean for a fight of forum Vs. Facebook. Both have their place.

Social media is here to stay and is the future of communication. I mean we se stories about accidents in JHB about 4 hours before we see or hear about it on the news or 24 hours before we read about it in the paper. But also because it can be edited by anyone or anyone can post their story, it is also the bearer of spam and rubbish by the multitude so is not always accurate.

Similar time limits can be seen with international news. 911 took 4 hours to be broadcast here yet a few years later, people were being Charlie within minutes of the happenings in France. One often gets news on social media way before you can find related stories on Google News to verify.

Now: The Forum should be like an archive as has been mentioned, not as competition for Milano Works or other facebook contenders. But the fact is that we somehow need to find a way to merge Facebook with the forum so that we don't lose valuable info. This therefore brings me to an idea: How about merging the daily facebook AlfaOwner feed to some ongoing topic on the forum?

IT Heads, how do we do this? (This is not a question, it is "an instruction"... :teacher:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's dying is it? I hadn't noticed, but then I'm an old bloke with an old (2008 - brand new in my terms) car, not much money, and a lifelong stubborn inclination to fix things myself. This makes me a dinosaur in at least 6 different ways.

Cars are now appliances, shiny boxes of mystery with no user serviceable parts within, that most people buy, consume, and dispose of after a trip or two to get 20k services done whilst they drink capuccino in the customer care lounge. What is there to say about that?

That's why the action is around older cars, but over time the numbers of them (and us) will dwindle. At least until the organising principle of the car industry changes. It won't, it'll become more and more like IT & mobile phones - short-life novelty and incremental improvements all aimed at consumer seduction. Only weirdos will cling on to cars as old as Nokia 6310i's.

FB, well, I use it a lot and it's shallow, ADHD for cat owners. Forget ever finding what someone posted even yesterday on FB. Twitter is even worse, miss it and it's gone. Twitter's character limit, impossible to even phrase a decent question. Good for jibes, that's it.

Old cars, DIY mechanics, was a way of life, but it's out on the long tail now. Never mind, we're underappreciated until the apocalypse (ETA June 24), we'll be like gold-dust then.

[EDIT: Just noticed I was in the SA forum. Oops. Should I delete this? Well, maybe I'll leave it - it's general and global.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting discussion taking place Ian and I've been thinking the same thing actually. I've only been an Alfa owner for the past.. Going for 3 years now, and in the beginning, August 2013 the forum was the go to place. As of late, a year or two later.. The forum is noticeably dying out. Instead of logging on daily as I used to, it's now weekly, as there is never really anything new these days. it really goes to show that most of us, went to MilanoWorks or some other social media platform instead. To me, simply because it's easier in general, seeing pics and loading them are easier etc. I get notifications immediately when a new post is made and I can "like" and "share" things at the touch of my screen. So all in all ease of use is a major factor.

There is one thing FB will never replace though. When I have an issue and I ATLEAST want to find out what it is (nevermind working on the car as I'm no mechanic, but I'm also not one to not know what must be done at the mechanic) I come to the forum. Indirectly, I type in "Alfa 156 misfire" for example and Google pulls up 10 possible reasons, all from this and the international forum! That's something FB won't be able to replace for me. So I think you guys should keep up with the threads and info, there are definitely a lot of us that are interested enough to dip into all Alfa related discussions! Not just the more easily accessible.

·
Administrator. ?? ?? Devoid of gorm.
7,647 Posts
Hokaai...

In defence of the MODS :rolleyes:, we had nothing to do whatsoever with taking the forum off Tapatalk.
That was the forum owners (Autoguide).
But I do believe Tapatalk is now reinstated. (I could be wrong as I don't use either Tapatalk or Autoguide apps.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Having been on AO for the last 8 years, I also have seen a huge drop in activity - especially in the last year. I reckon it's mostly due to the lack of new cars being released.

In the technical areas, most issues and fixes and modifications have been covered to death and any questions asked now have already been covered a gazillion times over, which puts people off.

There are still some fantastic threads on here though, with images, stories and background. More like a soap opera. This can't be replicated on FB/Twitter.

I tried the alfa thing on Facebook, but it was rubbish - ok for idle chit chat and pics, but not for anything useful. I applaud those that take the time on here to load up decent photos and share their skills and knowledge for the people like me, who are tinkering and trying to learn more about their cars and wanting to be more hands on.

Hopefully the new models when they are released will bring a new wave of enthusiasm to the site and some much needed basis for future discussion.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
What made me frequent forums less is the fact that a wisecrack always crawls out of the woodwork to start a fight/debate about anything that just ruins a thread to the point that its an effort and honestly i just dont have the energy for know it alls.

Facebook groups have a more focused approach. For instance. I mod my brera. Many people on the forum dont approve and have an opinion on mods. I go to milano works an italian mods based community. People who appreciates mods and think the same way. Unfortunately we have Ian there also ;-) And before someone fights me about this. I just used my brera as an example. This example is not based on real life experience.

But also i think the instantaneous response is a big plus for fb groups. That said i used to like logging on to the forum and seeing someone replied to my thread or sent me a pm. Its like unwrapping a parcel just delivered by the courier haha

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I also tend to agree that the technical stuff should be on the forum and the causal chats should be on FB. As previously mentioned, the ease of use is a big advantage to FB, but also the info storage on the forum is irreplaceable.:thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
One of the main reasons I haven't been very active was due to the lack of support for Tapatalk. Now that it's available, I've been browsing the forum at least once a week.

I prefer forums for discussions and the detail that can go into a thread. Short info and sharing of pictures is easier seen and done on Facebook

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts