Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The major problem with fixing a 'lemon' car is the resources it takes in order to do so. Alfa Romeo don't have an endless supply of money to do this unfortunately. The reason Alfa Romeo produce such cars is a direct result of quality control. It has been said in other threads how much you can get for your money with Alfa Romeo compared to other German brands. The big difference is with other brands you are paying more for that quality control whereby Alfa Romeo offset the cost of their cars through lowering quality control standards. If Alfa Romeo spent more money on quality control we as consumers would have to pick up the costs which would then put Alfa Romeo in direct competition with equivalent German brands price wise as well as every other aspect i.e. Reliability, standard equipment, optional extras, dealer experience. Because we pay less, we get less in the way of quality control but more in the sense of standard equipment which gives the marque an edge in the market.

G

·
at the risk of upsetting people who work within the dealer network, specifically the workshop, diagnosing problems outside out of reading fault codes and swapping parts over seems to be a lost art.
I worked for Vauxhall in the 80's and 90's in the workshop, at that time we were going to an OBD diagnostic system, in the same way all manufacurers did, and so the training suited the environment, we were taught how to use these things and the YTS lads were then trained more on the electrical side than the mechanical theory, as a result we had a lot of 'fitters' who were good at using a handheld device but in reality couldn't understand the more complex 'engineering issues' that a car will give from time to time.

i think that this is a lost skill, there may be one or two in the dealership who can do this but they get laiden with so much work they can't be bothered as they are still expected to meet productivity targets.

And that's the other issue, how can you expect someone to diagnose and repair a 'non standard issue' within a set time scale? its not possible, so the mechanic/fitter gets pressured to turn the job around or he will lose bonus, or worse still at his end of year appraisal he doesn't get a payrise because he has the lowest 'productivity' but yet his work load is all 'non standard issues'

I have seen this happen too many times, and so we end up with a workforce driven by targets and have a CGAF attitude, who loses out.......the customer

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Some VERY interesting reading here Folks, and some wonderful points made too, on a subject I had never even thought about before, and the reason I say that, is I had LOADS of problems with a 33Ti back in the 90's, and it ended up being totally undrivable, and was condemned by an Alfa rep, who came to see me, after I complained directly to Alfa's head office here, and he offered me a brilliant deal on the newly lauched ( then ) 145 1:7, which I took, and was very happy with too. However, lo and behold, I'm driving around West Wales ( when it was left with a Main Dealer ) a few weeks later, and what do I see on the road, Yep, my old 33 Ti. How did that happen I ask you. I'd forgotten about it, until I read this excellent thread. Nice One Guys.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Ironically, after reading and commenting on this thread yesterday. I saw one of my old Alfa 145's on the road, whilst out driving. Still looked very good too, hard to believe it was a N reg though, which I think was 1995, if my memory serves me right......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funnily enough I’m now the proud owner of the first car you rejected… DU56YJL !!! I brought it as spares or repair as the head gasket had gone. This year alone the car has had new steering rack, new clutch and flywheel, new water pump and cam belt (twice) new brakes, new rear trailing arms and bushes etc etc, since I done the repairs it drives lovely and faultlessly. So much so I was just going to fix it and kick it down the road for profit but instead we’ve decided to keep her !!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had a BMW Z3 2.8 ACS back in 1999 that was just loathesome.. it ate roof mechanisms, toor roof cloths, back windows and had a distinct hatred of drivers electric seat mechanisms .. i owned it 10 months and it had something like 4 of those sat at BMW dealer being "fixed".. or leaking on my drveway... I finally lost my **** with it and was ranting at the service desk of the BMW dealer when the salesmen i bought my cars from came for a chat andsaid, leave it wiht me.. The next day he rang and made me 2 offers for a remedy - 1) - BMW GB would take the car and re-assemble it at replacing any worn component and keep me in a car whilst it happened, or 2) they would take my car back and credit me with it's pre modified value, (i added ACS wheels and exhaust), against any BMW they had in the dealership or due to land.. i took them up on option 2 and then went on to buy 7 more BMW's from them.

Fast forward to 2005.. i was looking at a house for sale in Bramhall when wandering around the garage i noticed a Z3 shaped covered car, so i lifted the front of the car cover and it was my old Boston Green Z3 - R662RFV... De-Schintzered back to stock, apart form chrome side gills.. i found out that the car had been corrected and the new owner had it since 3 months after i parted ways with it and loved it. .never had an issue.. and it is still knocking around now, although on it's 4th owner and was last MOT'd in Feb 2021..

·
Registered
39,579 Posts
We had a new Audi A3 Sportback when they were a new model and somebody forgot to apply their car’s handbrake and it gauged down the side of the Audi in a car park. It was on a Friday and she forgot to own up. In the mean time we thought we’d never know even though it was the carpark to our child’s nursery and sent it to our insurer‘s repairer. They made an absolutely appalling job of repairing it.

I rejected the car and they had a few more goes. It got no better and the insurer agreed to send it to our local Audi dealer. I knew it’d send me nuts trying to get it done so gave up.

Then ages later I saw the lacquer they’d used to blend it in was reacting. I took the advice of a friend who’d worked in insurance and sent a picture a day to the CEO of Esure for a while. Then I phoned and got through to him and he agreed to buy it back. We agreed a price and it was collected so I bought a new one by adding quite a bit of money.

On the way back from the dealer with the new one the ombudsman called to say they were going to start on the case and were a bit surprised to hear I’d resolved it. However, considering the Audi dealer said the car had been repaired and re-repaired so much it was no longer to the original design, I wondered where it might go next. A colleague spotted it at his local Audi dealer as an approved used car!

·
Registered
246 Posts
We had a new Audi A3 Sportback when they were a new model and somebody forgot to apply their car’s handbrake and it gauged down the side of the Audi in a car park. It was on a Friday and she forgot to own up. In the mean time we thought we’d never know even though it was the carpark to our child’s nursery and sent it to our insurer‘s repairer. They made an absolutely appalling job of repairing it.

I rejected the car and they had a few more goes. It got no better and the insurer agreed to send it to our local Audi dealer. I knew it’d send me nuts trying to get it done so gave up.

Then ages later I saw the lacquer they’d used to blend it in was reacting. I took the advice of a friend who’d worked in insurance and sent a picture a day to the CEO of Esure for a while. Then I phoned and got through to him and he agreed to buy it back. We agreed a price and it was collected so I bought a new one by adding quite a bit of money.

On the way back from the dealer with the new one the ombudsman called to say they were going to start on the case and were a bit surprised to hear I’d resolved it. However, considering the Audi dealer said the car had been repaired and re-repaired so much it was no longer to the original design, I wondered where it might go next. A colleague spotted it at his local Audi dealer as an approved used car!
I read a piece on VCheck who had found, i think it was, an unrecorded <12 month old written off Polo for sale at the main dealer as an approved used.. the pics at the time from the wrecked car looked pretty game ove.. (sure it was a polo.. might be wrong or maybe a golf), they notified the dealer and to their credit the car was pulled and i think "dissappeared". They rsponded to Vcheck with thanks and sinceere sounding words that as the car was unrecorded it had no issues on their inspection.. kind of calls into question the quality of their buyers....

·
Registered
39,579 Posts
The good think about the on-line Approved Used images. You could see that our A3 was out of focus compared to others of the same colour. The grooves in the bumpers were full of paint and the radii were rounded off. It was never written off but the reacting paint wasn’t going to get any better

41 - 50 of 50 Posts