Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I've just sold my 02 reg 156 2.0TS Veloce Sportwagon and bought a September 2006 registered 159 2.2 JTS Turismo Sportwagon.

The 156 SW was my first Alfa and the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. It was a joy to drive, either around town or cruising.

The 159 SW is my 16th car in 28 years of driving and the most expensive. Unfortunately its the first car that I'm beginning to regret buying. Right now I'm feeling pretty cr...p.

I bought the car from an ALFA Main Dealer. 34,000 on the clock; an ex demo run by one of the dealer's managers. I kind of thought any issues would have been ironed out if one of their own had been running it.

I'd read the threads on here about the pick-up problems at low revs and also some issues with the gear-box. However the test drive seemed OK to me.

I've had the car 4 days and so far just driven to work and back in traffic. The gearbox is like a "bag of spanners", very notchy on all changes, and I feel like my clutch foot is going through the floor.

I've never experienced this in any car previously, either my own or any of probably 20-30 rental cars I drive each year with my job.

I'm now experiencing the bad pick up at low revs. The combination of the two issues is really terrible.

A week ago I was enjoying driving around in my 156, wondering whether I was doing the right thing in changing to the 159.

I thought I was because it would be great to have nice newer version of the car I had enjoyed for 4 years. The 159 looks great and it's an Alfa so ofcourse I'll enjoy it, right?!?!?! Well I'm not!!

I'm just having great difficulty in understanding why the 159 JTS can be so bad when the 156 TS was so so good.

I'm going back to the dealer's tomorrow morning to see what they say.....

Questions:

a) Is the gearbox on the 2.2 JTS different to those on the 1.9 and 2.4 diesels?
b) Do the diesels have similar gearbox issues?
c) How much is a remap of the 2.2 JTS?

I'd be interesting in hearing the experiences of anyone else who has made the transition from a 156 TS to a 159 JTS.

Cheers,

JH

:cry:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I very nearly bought a 2.2 Brera, but couldn't find the right combination, so I got an old GTV to keep me going. I test drove two 2.2s, I didn't notice the famed problem, but then again, didn't drive in traffic.

Anyway, call Jano at Autodelta re. the remap, which I think costs £400.

Good luck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
with some main dealers you have 30 days to hand a defective car (even if it is used) back - maybe you could get your old one back too if they still have it!

This

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My 2nd to 3rd change is poor but the rest are fine. There are some worrying sounds from under the car when changing gears in low speed traffic. It's almost like driveline shunt. My views on the hesitation are well documented, including last week's Autoexpress.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi SR

Off subject I know but can you scan the article and post it? I missed that mag and have been following the hesitation thread with interest - would be interested to know what was said and whether Alfa replied?

JB

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sorry I can't due to copyright but if you PM me your email address I'll get it to you:D

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
nice to know general motors is still screwing up. probably why alfa cant fix it easy as its not their engine or gearbox.

the box is a getrag box, used by GM and is pants, and so is the engine (GM L-61)

come back twin spark, they would be a welcome return:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I test drove a couple of 2.0 TS 156's and had (a bashed up and knackered) one as a hire car in Italy once. I had one on order as company car when we were taken over, order cancelled and Mondeo Diesel provided instead. :mad:

9 months later I left, and started up in competition with them.

Then I couldn't afford one.

The 2.2 159 I test drove today did not remind me of it in any way.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
My 2nd to 3rd change is poor but the rest are fine. There are some worrying sounds from under the car when changing gears in low speed traffic. It's almost like driveline shunt. My views on the hesitation are well documented, including last week's Autoexpress.
damn, I skipped that one as well :(, best of luck in getting your problem solved

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
nice to know general motors is still screwing up. probably why alfa cant fix it easy as its not their engine or gearbox.

the box is a getrag box, used by GM and is pants, and so is the engine (GM L-61)

D
Is the same gearbox used in the diesels ? - my gearbox seems fine....fairly smooth for such a new car as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I have just moved from a 156 1.8 TS to a 159 2.2 sportwagon and am a little disappointed too, the gearbox is poor compared to the 156, I confirmed this as my nephew bought my 156 and I drove it the other day for a bit of nostalgia, was surprised that the gearbox was beautiful and smooth in the 156 and notchy when back in the 159. The main problem both my wife and I are having is that 1st gear take of from traffic lights is like hitting warp drive! its a bit embarrassing, then when you quickly drop it into second there's no guts at all. We seem to have a few flatspots although Im not sure if we suffer from the lurching / hesitation thats mentioned in the main post at the top of the page, is this the same symptom? The 156 did have have a bit of jitters when driving off on first gear but we got used to it very quickly, so hopefully will get used to the 159 in the same way. On the plus side the 159 2.2 engine is smooth and very quick!

N

·
0 Posts
used by GM and is pants, and so is the engine (GM L-61)

come back twin spark, they would be a welcome return:D
Yes I miss the bi-weekly oil top ups too. :rolleyes:

Apart from the factory-installed hesitation
the 2.2JTS is better than the 2.0TS it replaced
in almost every way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes I miss the bi-weekly oil top ups too. :rolleyes:

Apart from the factory-installed hesitation
the 2.2JTS is better than the 2.0TS it replaced
in almost every way.
Nev,
Agreed. The Twinnies were good in their time but all this anti-GM stuff is a bit OTT IMHO. The issue is not the engines but the weight (over 1740kgs in the case of my 3.2).

As you say, don't need to worry about oil use or cambelt or costly spark plug changes.

166lover.:thumbs:

·
Registered
355 Posts
i think id rather put up with cambelt changes and costly spark plug changes , in return for the real alfa experience ,lovely responsive engine with a distinctive tone.
Times move on but not always for the better.:(

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Nev,
Agreed. The Twinnies were good in their time but all this anti-GM stuff is a bit OTT IMHO. The issue is not the engines but the weight (over 1740kgs in the case of my 3.2).

As you say, don't need to worry about oil use or cambelt or costly spark plug changes.

166lover.:thumbs:
im anti gm coz of all the problems i had with their gearbox in my stilo, engine problems in the vauxhalls we had, just fed up tbh.

everything on the twinnies is cheap if you shop around, a little iol use doesnt bother me, the 2.4 stilo i had was much much much worse:wow: :mad:

and the GM 3.2 v6, doesnt sound half as good as the old Alfa V6.

its just annoying that everything was good, then bam, the 2.2 l-61 plops its way in and issues, issues, issues, that are not being solved.

annoyed........a little yeah:D

as said above, times move on, but in this case, not for the better

N

·
0 Posts
its just annoying that everything was good, then bam, the 2.2 l-61 plops its way in and issues, issues, issues, that are not being solved.
Issues? What issues?

What are you talking about?
You're saying that there are
serious issues with the 2.2 JTS?

Where have you heard this then?

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
As far as I'm aware GM don't make gearboxes do they ?

This GM stuff has been done to death on here and it's always the same old same old with badge snobbery getting in the way of the facts every time.

As for the engines they are GM blocks with Alfa heads and Alfa maps.

RSK
i though gm owned getrag, but there you go, and i aint a badge snob, far from it, just alfa has lost its roots over time, but this is my oppinion, and were all entitled to them, ok:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts