Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does your 2.4 regen ?

I realise this depends on many factors, but I am doing on average 500 miles a week with a 50/50 split of motorway and town driving, and it is regening about once a week.

In saying that I presume it’s a regen, the trip computer consumption drops to 20ish mpg when on the motorway doing 70, the engine note changes, and the boost gauge drops instantly to zero when you lift of the accelerator.

Is this normal ? :confused:

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
That's normal for a regen but at that amount of motorway miles I wouldn't of thought it would do it that often.

I do similar miles to you and over the last 2 years I've only known it do a couple of regens.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I do mainly town driving with a bit of motorway & long straight 60mph roads and it sometimes regens 1 to 2 times per tank. I think its the town driving that really piles in the soot so that is probably why you are getting the regens.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I found that it happens once every 1000km.
I also do a lot of town driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my 159 2.0 (170) diesel for one week and am still learning. My (possibly stupid) question is how do you know when a regen is occurring?

My experience with the 159 so far is that according to the trip computer, the fuel consumption is approx 34 mpg wheras my previous 1.9 JTDm GT averaged 44 mpg. I was told the 159 would be better so I am quite disappointed.

I also agree with the posts on this forum that the auto wiper function is a little worse than useless.

Apart from that that, it is a fine car and I am generally delighted.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hopefully the consumption will improve especially if you bought new she will be a bit stiff at first.
The exhaust note change and the boost will drop away immediately if you decelerate.
The current consumption will also become a lot worse.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Whoever said a heavier, DPF equipped, larger engined, more powerful 159 would be more economical that a GT wants kicking...expect no better than 40mpg average.

From experience and from FES analysis, the regens happen between 180 and 350 miles depending on usage, and lst around 10 minutes.

So once per 500 mile tank with good A road use is spot on.

A

·
0 Posts
Actually CJ, if you look at the MPG figues in the brochure of the 159 it looks very promising....the 2.0 170 being much more economical that the 159 1.9's and wayyyy better than the 147/GT/156 models......in theory though!!!

I went into the 159 ownership knowing I would be around 5-7mpg off what I had with my 147 so it wasn't too much of a shock.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I know what the book says, it was that someone categorically told him as sales guys and owners all know the truth!

Mate went from the 1.9 /150 to the 2.0 /136, hefinds it similar on performance.....and economy !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hopefully the consumption will improve especially if you bought new she will be a bit stiff at first.
The exhaust note change and the boost will drop away immediately if you decelerate.
The current consumption will also become a lot worse.

It was the salesman who told me the fuel consumption would be better but I already expected that from believing the official figures. I am only relying on computer figures at present. I have not yet done a tank brim to brim.

However, I still want to know how you can tell when a regen is occurring. My boost pressure always drops immediately on deceleration and I would expect that.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
As far as im aware the new diesel engines have close coupled DPF's which regulate their temperature a lot better so i wouldnt worry. Same sort of design BMW's use

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

However, I still want to know how you can tell when a regen is occurring. My boost pressure always drops immediately on deceleration and I would expect that.
I've never experienced a regen in a 2.0, but I imagine it is less noticeable. After a week, you probably haven't done one.

I don't notice every single regen that occurs. Signs:
- Fuel consumption on the instantaneous reading plummets (by 5 to 10 mpg). I try not to look at this anyway :(
- if you take your foot off the accelerator, the boost gauge drops immediately to zero rather than 'floating down'
- apparently the exhaust note changes, but I struggle to tell this, as I'm usually on the motorway
- sometimes a slight juddering at low revs. If I recognise that it's doing a regen, I'll drop down to fifth (or even fourth) to get the revs (and consequently exhaust temperature) up.

A

·
0 Posts
Mine regens an awful lot and I do mixed driving (my commute is the shortest journey of 8 miles or so) but most other times I'm driving 15 miles or so each way on a regular basis.

Bizarrely, mine always seems to regen every Saturday morning for some reason when I go to my canoe club which is about 15 miles away without fail....just as I reach the car park and when I'm late arggghhhhh (I have to wait for it to finish):mad:.

I have yet to see it kick in when I'm towing the caravan or the big canoe trailer we have....maybe its because the soot doesn't 'clog' in the system like it does when its not under load???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts