Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a drive with a friend who has 18" chrome alloys on a toyota run x.They look very nice but the ride is stiff.This is just to add to whats been already covered for a while regarding uncomfortable rides.My 16" alloys and stock suspension for a five year old, feels better.Imagine if i change my suspension!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
many factors involved in ride quality, including tyre profile, suspension travel, spring compliance, damper compliance, weight of car, etc.

i ran 18s with 225/40 tyres on my 156, together with Eibach lowered springs and KONI Sport dampers. yes, the ride was very firm, but not terrible, and 'bump control' was excellent. the dampers made the biggest different; the car no long 'crashed' into potholes or over sharp bumps.

so it's always a compromise between comfort and handling. 17s are probably the ideal choice, but i wanted the look of 18s!

:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many factors involved in ride quality, including tyre profile, suspension travel, spring compliance, damper compliance, weight of car, etc.

i ran 18s with 225/40 tyres on my 156, together with Eibach lowered springs and KONI Sport dampers. yes, the ride was very firm, but not terrible, and 'bump control' was excellent. the dampers made the biggest different; the car no long 'crashed' into potholes or over sharp bumps.

so it's always a compromise between comfort and handling. 17s are probably the ideal choice, but i wanted the look of 18s!

:)
thanks for your input.I do love 18's but was deterred due to numerous members complaining about the suspension wear and other factors like ride quality.I honestly want something larger.I think i will go big on my next car.i will however change my suspension from stock to koni in a few months

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I've been thinking about this, looking at a 3 door 147 you'd think it was designed to have larger rear wheels, I''m thinking what would it look like with 18's on the front and 19"s on the back?

Doesn't one of our european members have different sized alloys on his 147?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yesterday I bought a new set of 4 tyres, and I blessed myself for not having bought the 17's...

440 euros for 4 205/55ZR16 Eagle F1s... Oh, and I burned a set of Michelins Pilot Exalto in 35000Km (+-year and a half).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts