Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads

Was having trouble with my fuel supply, a very loud noise from the pump and engine intermittently cutting out when idling. Fitted a new fuel pump but no change so decided to go deeper and remove the tank so I could check the fuel lines. While at it I ran the fuel pipe straight into a barrell of fuel and ran the car like that and the noise went away and all was good so obviously an issue with the tank. When I looked into the tank sure enough there was gunk in the bevel that I cleaned out and also dirt gathered around the bag that covers the end of the fuel pipe. While I had the tank out my trusty mechanicfriend advised I should treat the tank as it was in bad shape and the photos below are the surprisingly good results for an amateur. Unfortunately a lot didnt turn out and what did is ok quality but just thought I'd share them with you. I used a halfords paint and rust removal disc attached to the end of a drill to sand down the metal, takes a while but there is probably faster ways. Although with all the crevasses and lines on the tank surface it does make it tricky and time consuming. Feel free to comment on my incredible skill and talent :lol:

Tank before sanding

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Once sanded paint the whole tank with this stuff, it treats and dissolves the oxidised metal allowing it to be painted over. Some rust you just can get in at.
05.jpg

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now your ready to treat it proper. I used hammerite stonechip but there is a few products on the market, you can get this stuff in a spray or a tin to paint on with a brush which is what I did but dont expect to be able to reuse the paint brush when your finished, the stuff is like tar. Again one coat is all thats needed

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a bit hard to show the true difference in the photos but its quite incredible when the stonechip dries in and your left with whats like a brand new tank. If the sanding down process wasnt so long and awkward I'd do thewhole underside of the car while the tank is out. I'll try get some pics up once its mounted.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Frank, I dont mind, if your stuck i'll have a go at yours. Just dont expect it back this side of spring :lol:
If I get it mounted in time it might make an appearance in Kilkenny

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Cool, would like to get the two of them together on a run! Nah my tank was done but I've a leak so can only half fill it :eek:

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Excellent job Mark..!!
You bringing it next weekend..?

Good to see you're still keeping in with Shane. Well keeping in with his garage facilities, anyways...:thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Looking sweet Mark! How did you clean the inside of the tank in the end? Where did you get the Monopol from and how much is it?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx jim, in the end I didnt clean out the inside because the more people I asked about it the more varied answers and recommendations I was getting. An old family friend used to do restorations said to leave it as it would be ok so I did, sure its only extra hassle. Shane provided the Monoprol, its a bit expensive, I think possibly as much as €50 per 5 litre tub but seriously good stuff. You only need one coat and it spreads well, it didnt take much at all to cover the tank so 5 litre would go a very long way.

George if I get it all mounted, taxed and insured between now and next Friday there is a chance it will make an appearance next Sunday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good Job Alfa155TS!

I did my tank in 2010 both inside and out using this POR 15 I located at Holden.

Following the great guide the guys at Alfa Restoration UK did.

The whole thing as you've shown is quite time consuming to do right but once done it shouldn't need doing again!

Here's a thread I did back in May on my tank, theres other bits in there though as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts