Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully refurbished an existing top tensioner on the alternator/drive belt on a 156 2.4 JTD 10v. I had it replaced coming up to 3 years ago and although I think it ought to have a longer life than that - apparently not. Having just spent obscene amounts of money on the car, I'm loathe to fork out another £120 + labour if I can get either a good used one, or a duff one and refurbish it.

Cheers

Terry

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Yes you can refurbish them, its the pivot point that needs freeing up. Pack it with copper grease, replace the two O-rings and re-fit.

·
Registered
822 Posts
+1 on that. I rebuilt mine nearly 5 years ago and its still fine. They were originally assembled with nearly no lubrication so seize quite quickly.

Keith

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keith,

I'm now in the process of trying to find a used one as I want to hand it over to the mechanic ready to go, rather than me having to pay him to refurbish it - are the 'O' rings readily available?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have "variety packs" of o-rings from a couple of manufacturers so on a job like that just pick the closest match. My kits were from Screwfix and CPC so I cannot comment re the Machine Mart version. Different kits often have different thicknesses for each size so its helpful to have more than one o-ring kit to search through. They are pretty cheap and very handy to have around!

Keith

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have "variety packs" of o-rings from a couple of manufacturers so on a job like that just pick the closest match. My kits were from Screwfix and CPC so I cannot comment re the Machine Mart version. Different kits often have different thicknesses for each size so its helpful to have more than one o-ring kit to search through. They are pretty cheap and very handy to have around!

Keith
Yes, sensible suggestion, I've both Screwfix and MM quite near as well as a local toolshop that sometimes stocks them - also I think a quick searck on Ebay will do no harm.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, well I've managed to get a brand new gates top tensioner from Germany at a good price and want to lubricate the pivot point before getting it fitted. It looks like you have to prise a retaining washer type fixing out before you can gain access to lubricate it - is that correct?

Can someone post an idiots guide to doing this please? -as I don't want to bugger up a new tensioner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts