Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 spider cromodora 5 spoke alloys are looking tatty and I can't decide whether to a) get them refurbished or b) buy new replacements. Buying new may not be much more £££ and there could be a safety argument there, but from a waste and un-rational emotional perspective I'd rather keep the originals. Thoughts? And who would you recommend to refurbish in central Scotland? And finally, I need new tyres too. Any recommendations in a 185/70x14 and should I get new tyres fitted before or after refurb?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been thinking similar thoughts. I have some mid '70s Melber Majors on my Spider which are getting a bit tatty. I have been looking at getting them powder coated, which is about £70 a wheel locally. As these will be about 10 years older than your Cromodoras I am also concerned on the safety aspect.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
If you get new tyres, take them along to the place that does the wheel refurb - let them fit them for two reasons -

They probably won't charge to fit the new tyres

& if they scratch/damage the freshly refurbished wheels when fitting the tyres, its down to them.

If you took some newly refurbished wheels down to Kwik fit, they'll charge you £60 to fit 4 tyres and will probably scratch the wheels, then be disinterested in the situation....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
A few words of caution. I have never yet found an aftermarket wheel nor refurbished one where the coating is as hard and durable as the originals.

Not really much to learn there as both new and refurbished seem to be equally soft and easily damaged. I guess what I am saying is when the coating on your new or refurbished wheels gets damaged don't think you made the wrong choice - they are usually equally soft!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Tyrewise, Vredestein seem very well respected and I've certainly been happy. I think Dunlop sports also rate well.

On the Cromodora's unless they are faulty or dangerous I'd be inclined to refurbish at around £50 a corner. Those were original fit on S3 and I think look good on the car. And you'd still have change compared to new wheels.

The Melber Majors in my opinion are the nicest looking of all the wheel options - but they must be in the all silver finish (see signature pic) so again unless they're actually faulty I'd go with an all silver refurb. I had a set on my red '72 spider and they looked yummy.

I believe it's possible to have alloys tested if you are worried about integrity. But I have to say it's my modern which has managed to write off three 19" alloys in 4 years - never had an issue with the old cars (thanks to decent section tyres).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tyrewise, Vredestein seem very well respected and I've certainly been happy. I think Dunlop sports also rate well.

On the Cromodora's unless they are faulty or dangerous I'd be inclined to refurbish at around £50 a corner. Those were original fit on S3 and I think look good on the car. And you'd still have change compared to new wheels.

The Melber Majors in my opinion are the nicest looking of all the wheel options - but they must be in the all silver finish (see signature pic) so again unless they're actually faulty I'd go with an all silver refurb. I had a set on my red '72 spider and they looked yummy.

I believe it's possible to have alloys tested if you are worried about integrity. But I have to say it's my modern which has managed to write off three 19" alloys in 4 years - never had an issue with the old cars (thanks to decent section tyres).
If you don't mind getting dirty you can have a go at refurbing them yourself. I'm a very basic diyer - ask Joe90 - and managed to do some S3 wheels for my S2. They were in a right old 2 and 8, but look great now with new centre caps. I also went with Joe's recommendation and bought some Uniroyal rain master tyres.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you don't mind getting dirty you can have a go at refurbing them yourself. I'm a very basic diyer - ask Joe90 - and managed to do some S3 wheels for my S2. They were in a right old 2 and 8, but look great now with new centre caps. I also went with Joe's recommendation and bought some Uniroyal rain master tyres.
Can confirm Rich's wheels look very good - I had my Momo's dipped, blasted and then sprayed and lacquered them myself, results are pretty good even tho I say so myself, highly recommend the Uniroyals - very reasonable price and nice and grippy
I'm sure a certain trader will be along soon to tell you that you really should be fitting the (very expensive) original style 165/14 as they feel better and the car was designed for them despite the fact that the compound on these retros is completely different from the originals ... thankfully .... and that Alfa ditched the 165's for 185/70's as soon as decent ones were available at a reasonable price ....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can confirm Rich's wheels look very good - I had my Momo's dipped, blasted and then sprayed and lacquered them myself, results are pretty good even tho I say so myself, highly recommend the Uniroyals - very reasonable price and nice and grippy
I'm sure a certain trader will be along soon to tell you that you really should be fitting the (very expensive) original style 165/14 as they feel better and the car was designed for them despite the fact that the compound on these retros is completely different from the originals ... thankfully .... and that Alfa ditched the 165's for 185/70's as soon as decent ones were available at a reasonable price ....
I had a set of 6 x 14" Minilites aqua blasted (for my BMW NK) two weeks ago, then sprayed them myself after priming.
I then had four new 185 x 70 x 14 Continental Eco Contact 5's fitted by Halfords as they had an offer on .
Aquablast £60 total, paint approx £12, tyres £208 for the four.
Full total £280
Steve

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Steve, who did the blasting?.

I'm planning on having my ATS Alloys refurbished and have been quoted £50.00 a corner for blasting and powder coating. (Jemisons in York).

My only slight worry is making sure they seal properly as they currently won't hold pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts