Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to refurb the (Black plastic) sills on my P1 GTV? They are looking decidedly 'off black' (read: practically gray) and have a few deepish gouges on one side or would I be better off getting some new ones? (remember cheap = better!)

Any hints/tips/ideas welcome. The rest of the paintwork is pretty crummy so even bodge job will be considered :)

Chris

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It won't do anything for the scratches, but you can get them back to black easily and cheaply. Get some 'Groundnut Oil' from your local supermarket. It's only a pound or two. Apply very sparingly to the grey/black plastic. It will then look black. The nice thing about groundnut oil is that it dries and doesn't feel greasy.

You can also use it on the black bases of the bumpers, scuttle panel etc.

One word of caution, if you do decide to later paint the sill covers, make sure all the groundnut oil comes off first!

The more expensive solution is called 'Aerospace 303'. It's used on yachts and microlight aircraft, it also does great things for faded plastic.

I don't use the groundnut oil anymore as I had my bumpers painted and I got some secondhand phase 2 sill covers and they were refreshed at the same time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm.

When i refurbed my front grille I used a small can of hobby 'enamel' paint I had left over, but this is a much bigger area and more likely to get bashed about.

I can see..

Plastikote Super Enamel Matt Black 400ml: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

or maybe

Hammerite 5092832 Stone Chip Shield Black 600ml (Aerosol): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

or...

303 Aerospace Protectant: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors for the Aerospace 303. Would this stuff take it back to black as well or would It need to be painted and then protected?

Any recommendations?

I might try gently sanding down the gouges so they are smooth and then spraying them so they blend in more.

Chris

·
Registered
708 Posts
Photo0325.jpg

just painted mine same as car

had a few scratches buffed most out with 500 on da sander

and a few thick coats later and a few beers job done

then covered in 3m protective film over the dimpled area only

Mike

·
Registered
986 Posts
Think you would have great fun getting the sills covers off.....Job for next year for me that one.
I used Autoglym bumper care and it looks good but does fade after a while

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think you would have great fun getting the sills covers off.....Job for next year for me that one.
I used Autoglym bumper care and it looks good but does fade after a while
Ugh cant get the screws holding on the sills to budge :(

·
Registered
708 Posts
Had the same problem with the screws
used a dremel to cut a slot in screw and a bit of wd40 and a screwdriver bit on a ratchet job done like cutting butter with a mig welder

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Aerospace? :cool: Even if it turns out to be a crap product I gotta buy some of that, just for the name!

"You're right, my Gtv is fast, it has aerospace on it".

(useful thread this).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts