Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heatshield tunnel was unscrewed to get the front subframe off, and the rear two bolts I carefully left in have dropped out so now the whole section is loose. The subframe is now back on but I can't get the tunnel to line up for fixing.
It is about 50mm too far back and doesn't want to come forward to line up with the chassis holes. I've put the handbrake down as far as possible but suspect the handbrake cables are causing the problem. Pulling & tugging it wobbles it forwards and backwards, so there's nothing hard stopping the alignment.
Other than removing the exhaust system, centre console, and dismantling the handbrake assembly, I'm hoping for a simpler solution so has anyone got any tips on how to get it back in position for bolting on again?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The steel is a bit too thick for tin snips, and there's ten bolt holes to alter. Then the gear lever and handbrake will be 50mm out of position.
I fixed it eventually, the front of the tunnel has downward facing brackets which can take a 15 inch piece of 2x1 wood, then fix a luggage strap round this peice of wood and round the ally exhaust sheild bracket on the sump, then a bit of heave-ho and it comes forward into position just fine allowing all the bolts to go in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts