Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Hope you all have had a nice Easter?

I have a question (or a few) and hoping at least one has faced the problem when refitting original fascia etc.

I have a Alfa 147 Q2 and I have fitted (well almost) an after market unit, I think I still need to get a double din mount as the darn thing won't go back flush.. As you can see from the pic.

So apparently once I get the mounting I have to cut out the metal bar in order to fit this unit in to a double din mount (strange as this unit has a single din stereo size and double din fascia)

Anyway back to the point, once I have cut this thing out, how am I gonna restore everything back to how it was? I want restore everything back to original once I want to sell on, as mine is a q2 it's darker than the average 147 (As the unit was to match the standard 147 centre console couler I had to buy a standard heating control unit to match:/ )

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Take out the climate controls.
Put in the din and pull back all the cables to the double din will go back further.
Replace the heating controls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281205282491

Got him down to £340, I paid extra for the warranty and customer support from the UK

It's great for perfect match but i find it's well over priced compared to other devices that has more features. I'm still trying to figure out how to store radio settings etc so I personally don't think it's very user friendly, but it does support lots of other things like digital TV/radio, camera and mirror link etc etc

The point I was getting at was that for a flush fit I need to cut the metal bar (I think) but when I want to reinstall the original equipment the bar that I cut off to enable a double din won't be there so how will it all fit back together?

·
Premium Member
7,916 Posts
The point I was getting at was that for a flush fit I need to cut the metal bar (I think) but when I want to reinstall the original equipment the bar that I cut off to enable a double din won't be there so how will it all fit back together?
Just a detail, but it's not a metal bar.... It's simple plastic.

Once cut, that's it. You could save it, and try to glue it back in if you ever want to reverse the process.... However, you can also get the old 1 din stuff back in without the bar being there...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Love the look sorry no advice, but losing the cup holder and drawer is no loss I would say so well done! :thumbs: Hope you manage to get it flush.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To get mine flush I didnt cut out the bar. I also wanted to keep it as intact as possible.
Instead I made the bar narrower by cutting the top of it with a Multitool. By doing this it allowed the bar to fit into the groove at the back of the headunit. The original factory fit frame supports the new headunit clips although I put a 1mm polystyrene shim underneath the clips to move them out to get a tighter grip.

I also screwed an M4 Socket Head Cap Screw (35mm IIRC) into the rear and put shrink fit onto it and adjusted the protrusion of this so that it rested in the moulded groove in the ventilation duct. This was needed to stop the back dropping and causing the front to stick out at the bottom.

Hope this helps. I think you sent a PM but my Alfaowner inbox is empty.

Meant to say too that it does look the best on the market I think but radio presets are a disaster. If anybody else out there has it figured perfectly I'd love to know. Programming is by selecting the preset menu button (Right Side) which brings up a new window on the right side of the screen with a list of all the presets. Pressing and holding any of these sets the current frequency to that preset. However if you inadvertently press AMS it scans all frequencies and reprograms all presets back to all those stations at the lower frequency scales. I listen to all the stations at the higher scales so this is infuriating and happens me regularly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mate

Yes I did pm you.

I have finally got round it I think, it's all in just waiting for some bits to arrive, I'm waiting for a reverse camera and a usb power lead/adaptor for my old android TV which I'm gonna hide and link to the stereo (hoping it will run off USB port / iPhone lead) and then I can have android on go.

As you know I hacked off cross bar I managed to use a single din and use the flaps to drill a hole through and bolted it to the existing holes.

Your right the radio is shocking I really was hoping that it would be user friendly.

It does look the part though, it looks oem...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and other issue was that the button lights are orange, and don't match the red digits and dash. Is there a way I can change the colour to match?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts