Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other alfisti in the unfortunate position of having been made redundant recently?

Absolutely gutted, but at least i'm getting 2 months wages out of it, I'll need it to keep mi bella on the road.

Here's a tip: never work in the newspaper industry:tut:

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear this mate, sucks big time, :(

I give my job another month or so before I get the can, if that, :(

One of us has already been made redundant, a few more are likely set to go and I reckon one of them will be me due to a 'Last in First Out' mentality, :rolleyes:

Been there three damn years mind, but that won't count for jack, :mad:

Oh well, Aldi pays £8 an hour sitting at a till. Sorted! :thumbs:

:lol:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I was in motor sales till Jan when I was made redundant.
The MD had an after hours meeting with everyone from our 2 dealerships.

A positive message.... we're doing well.... jobs are safe... yada yada.

Lunchtime next day I was informed I was up for redundancy. 3 weeks wages.... car had to go at the end of the week.

From that moment on.... I saw it as a positive move. I am now self employed. I work my own hours.... see wife wife and son a lot more.... and I make more money now than I have for the last 3 years in the motor trade.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's not as bad as it seems. I took voluntary redundancy, had a month off and walked into another job five weeks ago.

Plenty of stuff out there.

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
Any other alfisti in the unfortunate position of having been made redundant recently?

Absolutely gutted, but at least i'm getting 2 months wages out of it, I'll need it to keep mi bella on the road.

print media is screwed, alas; a miserable sign of the times, dissing the real domain experts in favour of the gobby, opinionated online oiks, devoid of knowledge, experience and sagacity; they're shouty-shouty, celebrating being first with a view, when what any sane person wants is a news agency that's best with the news and analysis; not 'first'.

So here's to a totally 5u*ked up news environment for God-knows how many years...

S

·
0 Posts
It took the spur of redundancy for me to go self-employed.

Best thing I ever did.

I don't know your personal situation Cranester, but a lot of people on here seem to have gone it alone and made it work for them.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do. Remember you'll always get good advice on here if you need it.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
I'm sorry for you and hope you get sorted soon.

Sadly, these days the threat of redundancy stalks most of us not employed by the government.

Still, we can all look forward to our final salary pensions in the private sector........oh I forgot, we don't have those either anymore.:rolleyes:

Still, at least taxes are still going up so we can't complain.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi Cranester, sorry to hear about your redundancy. There are more of us here on AO. Just a few tips, try to get into a routine of getting up early and keeping yourself occupied. Never give up. Try to think of all the things you are interested in or are talented at. The current climate means that it isn't always possible to rely on someone else to give you a job, so consider starting a business of some kind.
Try to remain positive, try to exercise - healthy body, healthy mind and all that.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phew! Thanks very much for all the votes of confidence guys, it's really reassuring!

I'd love to be able to start up my own business, but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. Plus, I'm fairly young so I'm not sure I have the experience needed to go and set up an advertising and marketing consultancy.

I guess I should just take anything I can get till something suited to me comes up :(

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I got made redundant just after buying my Alfa. The MD basically said "You know were cutting back on milk, paper and electricity and now were cutting back on staff" I love that being compared to milk in the same sentence ! :lol:

Then said you you you and you are now redundant you have XX minutes to leave the building ! - Sons of B###s ! couldnt be more insensitive if they tried.

Anyway goodnews got a Massive redundancy package and looking at being self employed now. Compltely de stressed and more relaxed also.

That was a Bank Related job.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I got laid off 8 weeks ago - got to keep the car for my notice period and it left this morning........ so not only jobless but car less too (well until my Mito arrives - so could be months!!!!).

Decided need a change of profession but totally screwed as I have no idea what I want to be doing................ any ideas anyone????

Try not to watch Jeremy Kyle - you can hear the brain cells evacuating at a right rate!

S

·
0 Posts
Try not to watch Jeremy Kyle - you can hear the brain cells evacuating at a right rate!
Too true. I caught 5 minutes of it this morning and I haven't felt right since. When not working, I treat daytime TV as a dreadful warning of what I might become if I don't get back out there in reasonable time. :wow:

On your other two points. Firstly I hope your Mito arrives soon. Or at least on schedule. Surely that is not too much to ask. :rolleyes:

On what profession you should go into, FTM, I'd need a bit more info before I could offer any suggestions.

What did you do before? What did you dislike about it? What did you like? What else do you like doing? That sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
cranester said:
I'd love to be able to start up my own business, but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. Plus, I'm fairly young so I'm not sure I have the experience needed to go and set up an advertising and marketing consultancy.
Don't discount the idea straight off - do some research first. Running your own business isn't as hard as it seems, especially if you don't employ anyone else at first. If you have the motivation and enthusiasm for the business you can make a go of it.

Often you can get started for very little money, working from home maybe. You can start a business for about £250 (or less if you buy a name rather than make up your own).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What did you do before? What did you dislike about it? What did you like? What else do you like doing? That sort of thing.
I've been a Quantity Surveyor for the past 8 years for a civils subby - loved the lads on site, disliked trying to rip people off and having to be anally retentive about most things!

Got an eye for detail, good with figures, but really like working with diverse people in ever changing surroundings - being stuck in an office with the same 5 people scares the living daylights out of me!

My fav job ever was working with the a Project Manager when I was first starting out - was his little girl Friday - every day was different!

Sounds kinda hippy but I want to make a difference - all I've done for the last 8 years is make a very rich man richer........ and then the a**e kicks me where I should have balls!

S

·
0 Posts
Why not try project management as a new career?

I've had a lot of fun doing that over the last 6 -7 years since I was made redundant. Every job is different, different people, different problems to solve. The first job/contract might be tough to get, but once you have a track record it's not so hard to keep in work.

I don't do IT projects, though. I leave that to the masochists. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts