Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The alarm confirmation beep is too loud. I think I'll try wrapping some foam insulation round it to reduce the volume. Does anyone know where the beeper is?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
AFAIK you are thinking of the "changing the country code" trick which works on the 156 but not on the 147.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The alarm siren is under the left hand wing on the 147, think you have to remove the wheel arch liner to access it, I managed to drown my siren somehow, but it sorted itself before I could attempt a repair

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search and found a thread about switching the beep off by doing morse code with the bonnet switch, but if my car has a bonnet switch I can't find it.

I would prefer to keep the beep, but with a lower volume. Does the same sounder do the confirmation beep and the alarm siren? If so, that is my plan out the window.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I think the method only applies to the 156, but there's been lots if people having issues with their alarm after doing it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alarm beeps 147

I had exactly the same problem, very quiet around my house early morning and the beeps sound horrendously loud.

If your still looking to deactivate the alarm beeps then use the following for a 147

UK = 2, Holland = 4 (no beeps)

The operating mode can be changed by diagnostic instrument or the following manual procedure:

set the ignition key to Key-On;
activate the hazard warning flasher
press the rear fog light control button and hold it down
using the ignition key, carry out the following sequence in strict order: Key-Off (for less than 2 s), Key-On (for less than 1 s), Key-Off, starting from the Key-On state, always holding down the rear fog light button.
at the end of the sequence, the siren emits 5 beeps to indicate the activation of programming.
release the rear fog light switch and press it again the same number of times as the desired mode (each press gives a feedback beep)
If the button is pressed for an invalid number of times (e.g. greater than the number of available operating modes), the siren emits 5 beeps and is cancelled and the country code is not changed:

set the ignition key to the Key-On position within 10 s of the last press on the rear fog light button.
the siren emits the same number of beeps as the number which indicates the selected operating mode: each beep lasts 1 s and is followed by a 0.5 s pause.
at the end of the beeps, set the key to the Key-Off position: the BC is programmed in the new operating mode.

Hope this helps keep the peace.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, very quiet around my house early morning and the beeps sound horrendously loud.

If your still looking to deactivate the alarm beeps then use the following for a 147

UK = 2, Holland = 4 (no beeps)

The operating mode can be changed by diagnostic instrument or the following manual procedure:

set the ignition key to Key-On;
activate the hazard warning flasher
press the rear fog light control button and hold it down
using the ignition key, carry out the following sequence in strict order: Key-Off (for less than 2 s), Key-On (for less than 1 s), Key-Off, starting from the Key-On state, always holding down the rear fog light button.
at the end of the sequence, the siren emits 5 beeps to indicate the activation of programming.
release the rear fog light switch and press it again the same number of times as the desired mode (each press gives a feedback beep)
If the button is pressed for an invalid number of times (e.g. greater than the number of available operating modes), the siren emits 5 beeps and is cancelled and the country code is not changed:

set the ignition key to the Key-On position within 10 s of the last press on the rear fog light button.
the siren emits the same number of beeps as the number which indicates the selected operating mode: each beep lasts 1 s and is followed by a 0.5 s pause.
at the end of the beeps, set the key to the Key-Off position: the BC is programmed in the new operating mode.

Hope this helps keep the peace.
thats amazing electrostar (if it works)......how on earth did you know that :wow:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It definitely works as I've done it on my 147s, they are both 2002 vintage. Extract from a very informative cd.

Hope it keeps your neighbours happy.

Cheers
Graham

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It definitely works as I've done it on my 147s, they are both 2002 vintage. Extract from a very informative cd.

Hope it keeps your neighbours happy.

Cheers
Graham
What sort of cd's do you get. :lol:...............you got any more hot tips like trying to shut up the alerts from the dash when something fails i.e. numberplate light. or me fav...there may be ice on the road....like I wouldn't know that with 6 inches of snow lying about :cheese:

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as i know amfalconer it works. Bear with it as my first attempt didn't give the 5 beep confirmation that i was initially in programming mode.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well you the man Electrostar it worked 1st. time :confused::cool::D..............I'd sure like to get hold of that cd you mentioned;)

many thanks

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Well you the man Electrostar it worked 1st. time :confused::cool::D..............I'd sure like to get hold of that cd you mentioned;)

many thanks
Hmmm, I have to admit I'd assumed this was a late April fool. But if it does indeed work is it just on earlier cars. Would it work on a later 2004 car ? There seem to be too many people have tried these tricks and ended up with an alarm they can't turn off ... which would be a bit of a problem. :wow:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's an official manual method for changing the region, should work on any 147. Suprised that it has taken this long to enter the public domain.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
its a bit of topic but when you buy a new car it just goes to show you dont get the whole package i.e. control over everything dont come as part of the sale. Pay extra for the keycode etc. pay the dealers to sort something as simple as 'cancel bleeps (or have I got the wrong handbook) .............not to mention other possibilities ..........."its all wrong I tell you.all wrong :rant:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts