Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!

Has anyone tried Redline 0w-30 or 5w-40 oil for Multiair 170? What can go wrong if I use it in my 2014 Giulietta? Didn't find any mentions using forum search.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You beat me to the question whilst I was trying to find the specs for the Redline oils. No indication of suitability for the Multiair engine was shown. I even tried looking it up on Redline website and putting details in for the Dodge Dart that uses a Multiair engine, no luck there.

What can go wrong? Plenty if the oil does not meet or exceed the specifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it meet the spec for your car?
I'm not into oils so I decided to start this thread :)

You beat me to the question whilst I was trying to find the specs for the Redline oils. No indication of suitability for the Multiair engine was shown. I even tried looking it up on Redline website and putting details in for the Dodge Dart that uses a Multiair engine, no luck there.

What can go wrong? Plenty if the oil does not meet or exceed the specifications.
Thank you. Btw, do you know are there any PAO oils that can be used in this engine?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Euro 5 and 6 have different oils to economy targets, use the 5/40 in both for longevity reasons IMO. 0/30 is too thin.

Redline might possible. What are the specs? Is it a C3, or an A3? There are a lot of variables with oil specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anybody wondered. A friend of mine decided to try Redline 0w-30 at his own risk. 23k km on Redline, oil change every 5k – everything's fine. Seems like the engine revs a bit quicker. 2014 Euro-6 Multiair 170

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
5,000 km is equivalent to just over 3,000 miles. AR say change the oil at 18,000 miles. Most on here suggest every 9,000 miles. Every 3,000 miles reminds me of when I started driving back in 1965; that was a typical service interval. 23k km is just under 15,000 miles so not enough yet to show up any multiair problems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. Its the OE recommended oil in the US market (rebottled as Pennzoil Platinum Euro). Meets Fiat 9.55535-Z2.

0w30 for Euro 6 is for economy targets only, use 5w40. Dealers here in Australia do this.

Selenia is "ok" but nothing special. Shell is much much better. MB 229.5 spec is equivalent to Fiat 9.55535-Z2, so the Redline will also be fine.

Get onto bobistheoilguy forum if you want to learn about what all the specs mean and whats equivalent to what.

·
Registered
104 Posts
5,000 km is equivalent to just over 3,000 miles. AR say change the oil at 18,000 miles. Most on here suggest every 9,000 miles. Every 3,000 miles reminds me of when I started driving back in 1965; that was a typical service interval. 23k km is just under 15,000 miles so not enough yet to show up any multiair problems.
In Australia the factory interval is 15,000kms. This is crazy on a hot highly strung engine with a small sump capacity. I change at 7500kms while I still have the free 15K services from FCA, might let that stretch to 10,000 post warranty while keeping an eye on oil condition. 10K kms is about a year anyway with our use...

18,000 MILES...?! Are they insane...? Modern oils are good, they're not that good...

What kills the Multiair is a clogged oil gallery filter in the cylinder head from cooked old oil. The engine and the Multiair unit itself is not magic and they dont need the special magic sauce Selenia - they need a good quality oil thats kept clean.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another thing to bear in mind is the 1.4MA uses flat bucket under cam tappets - this is hard on oil and a lot of the low SAPS C3 oils currently in play (especially in europe) that are designed to play nice with particulate filters are not as good for these sort of valvetrains - its a rare setups these days, roller rockers are the norm.

In addition, we also seeing a consolidation of oils that are petrol and diesel friendly. A lot of corporate reasons for that, but it does mean we are seeing C3 oils mostly aimed at keeping DPFs happy also specced for petrol. An A3 oil is better for the flat tappets and there is no DPF.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Although I should note the US market and me in Australia prefer A3 oils also because of our poor fuel quality. The US is pretty high sulfur and Australia is among the worst quality fuel in the world :(

High sulfur fuels will contaminate oil and the C3 is much more susceptible to degradation from sulfur. This is not so much of a problem for you peeps in Europe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts