Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have some ongoing problems with my rediator fan.I putted in new fuses and relays and last week I bought an new resistor I a ecu check and nothing found.I even changed the thermostat last year.pleas any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi all have some ongoing problems with my rediator fan.I putted in new fuses and relays and last week I bought an new resistor I a ecu check and nothing found.I even changed the thermostat last year.pleas any help will be greatly appreciated.
Did you let the air out of the system?
Fan motor itselve?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan moter? How do you do that?I noticed when I put the aircon on the fan kicks in but that's not normal?

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
I noticed when I put the aircon on the fan kicks in but that's not normal?
That's normal, when you have the aircon switched on the fan should run at first speed.
So that indicates resistor and relay are ok.

What is your problem ? i.e. why do you think your fan does not work correctly ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jusely the cars fan must come on when tempreture is going up and if it's 90 the second switch is suppose to kick in.I hope I'm right just sou scared the enjin is going to overheat.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
First fan kicks in around 90, 2nd when about 100. 90 on the dial/gauge doesn't actually mean 90 in the rad! gauges are notoriously poorly calibrated.

It may be a poor connection on the fan relays, the resistor on the rad is broken or poor connections, or the sender may be broken (on the thermostat housing). As the fan spins wit the a/c it may not be the low speed relay, but could be the high speed.

Try (with the a/c switched OFF)

a) pull the connection off the thermostat sender and switch on and start the engine. Fan should spin as it puts ecu in "fail-safe" mode. Does it?

b) leaving the thermostat sender disconnected, remove the connections to the resistor unit and connect two wires together. Turn on and fan should run in fast speed. Does it?

If both work, then reconnect the sender and start and run the engine to get the fan to start. If the resistor is still bypassed the fan should run in fast speed.

Now reconnect the resistor and with the engine hot, start it and leave it to idle which should run the slow speed fairly soon as the engine is already near max.

What happens?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did pull out the thermostat and bridged the resistor with a wire when I started the enjin fan started right away I turned the car off and reconnected the thermostat still the fan did not kick in even with the enjin extremely hot.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm guessing this is a 147 JTD 16V based on your other posts (helps if you mention this). 90C on the gauge could be anywhere between 80 and 100C coolant temperature in fact, the gauge is designed to show 90 in this temperature range regardless of the actual coolant temperature. I suspect your coolant temperature is closer to 80 than 90 so the fan will not come on. What is the ambient temperature where you live ?

Also, diesels typically don't run very hot so the cooling system doesn't have to work very hard. In the UK the fan on my car never comes on, not that I've noticed anyway, even on hottish days. The gauge has never gone over 90C.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where I stay the temperature is between 28and34 it is somer here.sorry for stupid posting this is my first alfa and I love the way it looks just not familiar with this sort of enjin that's why I'm confused.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Jusely the cars fan must come on when temperature is going up and if it's 90 the second switch is suppose to kick in.I hope I'm right just sou scared the engine is going to overheat.
90degC is the running temperature that it wants to be at.
So at that temperature the fan will not be on at all (other than the pulsing for A/C).

The fan is controlled by the ECU using info from the coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oky I see sou I can rule it out that the fan is working thanx alot for the help nou I can rest easy that the enjin won't overheat.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Oky I see sou I can rule it out that the fan is working thanx alot for the help nou I can rest easy that the enjin won't overheat.
as with all temp gauges keep an eye on it but it sounds to me as if you have no problem, I have never heard my fan come on during driving in over a year but as I have my AC on most of the time in summer i likely would not.

the gauge has NEVER been above 90 degrees on mine even in the summer, but has on occasion in very cold weather dropped below 90 first thing if I get caught in traffic for any length of time, as others have said the gauge is buffered and will only move if the temperature moves outside of the optimum.

it all sounds perfectly normal...:thumbup:

relax and enjoy your new Alfa!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts