Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnight on my drive to work a red warning light was on, it looks like, what i can only describe as a lightbulb with something squirting out the bottom of it. Also the car had lots its ability to accelerate, so i turned around and took it home. This morning it won't start at all. Please help!!!!! BTW it an s reg 146

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That's the injector light and means you have problem with one of the engine sensors on your car.

If the yellow CODE light doesn't stay on but the red injector light does and your car won't start then suspect a faulty crank sensor as being the cause of your car not starting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi dave,

A sudden loss of acceleration and complete stalling is a symptom of a faulty crank sensor.
Its cuts out when the engine gets hot, restarts after about 15 mins when the engine has cooled.

I had a scary experience on the motorway whilst overtaking when mine decided to cut out.

Its approx £25 from Shop4parts and is a simple job if you have small hands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine wasn't hot though, and it won't start at all.......ever. It turns over but doesn't fire up

·
Registered
916 Posts
Crank sensor failure normally causes the engine to cut out completely; you would not be able to continue driving it. Loss of power could indicate AFM fault.
What engine size is the car?
When you say "lost ability to accelerate" do you mean it was misfiring or just "flat"?
I hate to mention this, but the warning light could have been triggered by the cam phase sensor. This happens when the cambelt jumps and the timing goes out. If it only jumped one or two teeth, the light would come on and you would lose power, but it would continue to run (albeit very badly) until it jumped again, at which point valves hit pistons and its Game Over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 1.6. The acceleration wasn't at its usual, it would speed up but really slowly, similar to if you left your hand brake on (no , I hadn't before you ask :))....whats an AFM?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My step-dad just checked the cam belt, he said its got teeth missing :(, he said he could fix it if he had a hayes manual....but as far as I know, Hayes don't do alfa manuals...any ideas guys?

·
Registered
916 Posts
That's not good. You probably have bent valves, requiring the cylinder head to be removed: expensive repair.
Unless you are able to do the work yourself, I'm afraid it's probably beyond economical repair.
No Haynes manual for these cars, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
you can get a manual on cd rom from epay
Please don't advise people pay the rip-off pirates on eBay for the workshop manuals that they just ripped from Alfa145.com for nothing and are trying to charge money for. You can view/download all the official Alfa workshop manuals FREE-OF-CHARGE from the following link...

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the tip ive just bought a 1 of the workshop manuals before i joined here it was only a quid & the same again for p&p :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts