Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Texas for a month and just got some Magnecor 8.5 mm Competition cables made to order for my 33.

Very nice! :):)

Can't wait to get back to fit them.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:rolleyes:

Just been to the mechanics with my new magnecor cables and realised the black rubber covers on the end of the cables are different to the original cables on my 1.7 boxer.

He would have to change the rubber mountings which can be really tricky.

The magnecor came with long narrow rubber mountings. The originals seems to have big wide rubber caps that fit over the whole spark plug head.

Anyone had the same issue??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Brit01,

Sorry can't help. Just replied so you know someone is reading - probably better I didn't reply eh? Ignore this in that case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do the narrow rubber boots fit somehow onto the plugs? If they are a tight fit but go on far enough for the clip to snap with the plug then you can use them - the tight fit can actually help by sealing against the plug's ceramic.
I've rolled my own leads a couple of times and apart from using the wrong crimping tool i've never had any problems. Having a little bit of electrically insulating grease on the rubber helps getting the boots on sometimes.
Oh, and it would be best if you try the fit on a spare plug you might have lying around before you fit them on the car. I can't gaurantee anything but I've had luck in the past.
N

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't tried fitting them but I think they will as that's what they were designed for.

My mechanic said there was another issue.

As its a boxer water can easily splash up on and around the plugs, that's why the original rubber plugs have a wide end to fit and cover the whole plug area.

I'm not sure if that is really an issue as long as the electrical connection keeps dry.

Could the locking nut rust if it gets wet? Looks like the original rubber keeeps this part dry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As long as the electrical connections keep dry (hence the tight boots) you should be safe. Liberal application of electrical-safe grease always helps since it prevents gaps between rubber and plug.

On some Japanese engines I've seen (very) simple but effective splash guards of thin sheet metal. I wonder how come they were never used on these cars?

·
Registered
263 Posts
rubber boots

hello,

some time ago i bought some ht ledas from halfords. Can't remember the brand name, but i was also able to buy some small rubber boots from the same manufacturer that fit over the end of the lead and block up the rest of the spark plug hole. they were listed in the halfords catalogue as a fitting kit for alfa 33s...

pains me to say it, but might be worth a look round your local halfords...

·
Registered
204 Posts
With my old 33 16valve I changed the leads for some silicon ones that had a smaller diameter rubber boot than the originals. This actually made it easier to take them on and off the plugs and never gave any trouble in wet weather.
Give em a try and if you get problems just put the boots off the old leads on the new leads. Easy job to do.

HTH
PJ

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A week now and running my new red cables.

The sound of the engine has changed and just runs beautifully.
I didn't expect to notice any change so it was a pleasant surprise.

Even my other half noticed the change in note.

Has anyone else had similar results when upgrading ignition cables?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts