Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Spend some time on the Alfa this weekend and decided to make the engine pop more and painted the cast iron red. Also hand-painted the V6 24V red. What do you think? I wanted to keep it original but with the new paint it just looks stunning.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking spraying the power steering filler cap and the bonnet opening hatch lever in the same red, too much?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's enamel paint, heat resistant up to 300 Degrees Celcius, normally used for outside braais and barbeques...

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I was thinking spraying the power steering filler cap and the bonnet opening hatch lever in the same red, too much?
The bonnet opening flap/lever maybe if yours is the red plastic variety and fading ... otherwise possible too much

Stick with it as you have now .. more subtle ..

·
Registered
780 Posts
The bonnet opening flap/lever maybe if yours is the red plastic variety and fading ... otherwise possible too much

Stick with it as you have now .. more subtle ..
Agreed.

If you go too overboard with the paint it will start to detract from the engine bay imo.

Your engine bay looks really smart and tidy and I think it looks great as it is and wouldn't paint anything else. But each to their own :beer:

Reactions: Aramis

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
could spray mine with real gold paint and diamond encrust the engine cover...

still be a f*****g diesel though...:biglaugh:

your is looking lovely though...:thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do need to finish that with a new coolant expansion bottle. About £25 on ebay.
While we talking about the coolant, the previous owner never refilled the coolant and now it is running low, do I need to drain the whole cooling system and put in a new brand? Or can I just colour match the liquid? I need to top-up the coolant but have no clue what is in it...I hope not original Alfa coolant...

Thanks for all the positive feedback

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
if its old coolant I would just replace the lot, but if your feeling lazy or are time restricted matching the colour is ok..

get round to it though as old coolant can damage things when the corrosion protection wears out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
How low is the coolant level? Is it just below the minimum mark or is the expansion tank virtually empty?

If its not that far below the minimum mark just use demineralised water to top it up (should be less than 1L) and get around to doing a full flush in the near future.

Colour matching is not an exact way to know you are using a coolant with the same chemical makeup and it can potentially cause issues, though that is unlikely. So personally I would avoid it if you can. Topping up with 1L of demineralised water shouldn't raise the freezing point too high, especially with winter behind us, and would be the recommended way to go (I had to add about 750ml of demineralised water when I bought my 156 the other week and its freezing point is still -30).

If the level is alarmingly low; grab 1L of blue coolant and some demineralised water and top it up in a 1:1 mix.

Either way I would recommend you change the coolant as soon as possible. Its not a hard job to do and would probably only take you an hour to do yourself and you don't even need to jack the car up if you can manage to get the under tray off and use a slim oil catching pan to catch the coolant (remember to dispose of old coolant legally). Just make sure you give it a really good flush and then replace the blue coolant with a red OAT (organic acid technology) long-life coolant as they last longer and do a better job at protecting from corrosion.

Reactions: Aramis
1 - 20 of 20 Posts