Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading an interesting article on the change to organic antifreeze and its use in older cars, see this thread: Antifreeze

The basis is that the newer, longlasting red antifreeze can cause all sorts of leaks in cars that were not designed for it.

Lots of us are having serious problems with leaks from the heater matrix and (IIRC) someone has traced the problem to the joint onto the matrix.

I changed to red antifreeze when I changed the radiator some time ago. Is my heater matrix leak a result of using red antifreeze?

What colour antifreeze are you using and has anyone had a heater matrix failure while using blue antifreeze?

Does anyone know what Alfa recommend?

Mike

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
wow mike so many questions.
1 everything changes ..nothing stays the same.

Matrix failure is not a new thing..my old orion did it years ago...slot in slot out nothing like the 166.

So you heater matrix is not as a result of the anti freeze.You changed the rad and with hindsight everyone who changes the rad should do the matrix at the same time.

Years ago most breakdowns were as a result of heater/radiator hoses bursting.With the change in rubber technology this appears to be a thing of the past...the orion went to its grave with the original hoses..1 new matrix.Original rad.

Pomeo and Lacy both have fluorescent green/yellow anti freeze.
Not because I am green BUT when buying a bit for my old Rover 827 at the Unipart garage they were selling a big 25 L container of their antifreeze for a knock down price.I have done a few with it.
appears good stuff to.
I reckon mine will maybe need new rads as they appear to go around the 5 year mark.

Alfa probably use parablu like fiat..Just not sure.

I use the best stuff on special.

Pomeo

·
Registered
30,242 Posts
I use the new type red coolant in my 1999 156 (2.0TS) and my 1994 Fiat Cinquecento (899cc).
Both are fine.
The 156 is using 4Life coolant
The Cinq is using Halfords advanced coolant.

The Cinq still has its original rad too..!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Personally, I don't like the red antifreeze (Organic Acid Technology)- whenever I look under the bonnet of an Alfa that has it, there seems to be little traces of pink seepage round all the hose joints etc. I've also had a number of twin spark engines with a coolant leak fron the o/s/f corner of the head gasket, almost all with the red coolant.
Whether or not the red antifreeze causes or contributes to the 166 heater matrix failure is difficult to say; I wouldn't be surprised, but on the other hand I have NEVER had to change a 156 matrix, whereas every 166 I have seen for any length of time has had a matrix at some point.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Just a quick reply, you can't change from blue to red! Even after a flush there will still traces of it and it turns into a jelly only asking for trouble

·
Registered
916 Posts
You cannot mix the two types, agreed. But changing from one to the other is OK as long as you thoroughly flush the sytem first. Been doing it for years, no problems.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Just a quick reply, you can't change from blue to red! Even after a flush there will still traces of it and it turns into a jelly only asking for trouble
You cannot mix the two types, agreed. But changing from one to the other is OK as long as you thoroughly flush the sytem first. Been doing it for years, no problems.
As long as you thoroughly flush the system you wont have any problems. I must admit, I still use the blue in my GTV just because its cheaper and does the job!!

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
AAAARGH...Having jist replaced the noo heater matrix AND the arrival of the Berwick Swans heralding the coldest and longest winter for years I am looking for the best protection.

So I was getting the OATS so simple stuff that lasts 5 years.....the same as the time for cambelt, tensioners, bearings watter pump. matrix and radiator...Makes sense to DIA at the same time. IE the simple service FIT AND FORGET.

So I goes to the Halfords webber to see IF ony deals on the Red Oats.......AAARGH No only Red and Blue but Oats, Silly Kates, and jist like the wurlds richest nations..NO G8 but G30, G40 and G48.

The facelifts they recommend OATS pre the Silly Kates. I was just gonna keep up wie progress and Oats them all.

Due to the time lapse in this thread what ,ifr ony experts on board, is the latest up tay date guidance.,

Pomeo

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just put some blue triple qx into my 24v 164 after a rad change and getting increasing hose joint leaks. The leaking hose-joint is the impossible to get to one behind the thermostat housing, without removing the housing (shear bolt 'joy') and two inlet runners to get to the joints on the other side. Am actually, for the first time ever, resorting to a leak fix liquid to get me through until the spring.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A couple of observations, from what I've gleaned on the subject:

1. Although MOST OAT is red, not all of it is! (either sort can be any colour) - which can be confusing. The OAT antifreeze my wife's Nissan left the factory with is green, for example.

2. It used to be true when OAT was first introduced that if mixed with the other sort (IAT), you'd get a jelly-like sludge. That was a good decade ago though. These days, the additive package has been revised and I think, the concentration reduced so although it's still not a good idea to mix them, you won't get sludge - just a dirty maroon-looking antifreeze.

3. You're not supposed to run OAT antifreeze in vehicles with "yellow metal" in their cooling systems. (It can't protect the yellow metal but I don't think it actively attacks it). That means brass and copper, in practice. So, for example, my 164 has a brass bleed plug in the top of the thermostat housing. As far as I'm aware though the heater matrix on a 166 (never seen one, mind!) is aluminium and plastic? If so, it should be fine with OAT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts