Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally stopped whinging about work and been looking for another job .So I put job on job specific websites phoned round some contacts etc.To cut a long story short one recruitment consultant has found a position in a firmthat want to interview me however his contact thinks he has received my cv from someone else .The rcruitment consultant want me to write a letter saying that he is representing me .In all honesty I do not mind which guy gets me the interview or takes the commision if i get the jod. I have never signed a contract with any recruitment consultant .What is the etiquette in this sitaution >?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If he has got the nod and is the first one to come back to you send him the letter as he asks, but specify that it is just for this position.

The other chap should have got this from you when he first put you forward. He hasn't called and offered you an interview so I wouldn't worry about it.

I would go with the person moving forwards and helping me get a job!

Good luck :D

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Did the other recruiter tell you that they were putting your CV in for that job?
If not, then you go with the one who has contacted you, because the other one hasn't been very professional. I'd also write the letter - it will help if the other guy complains. And if he does complain, you tell him that he never told you he was putting your CV forward, and if he had, then you wouldn't have used this recruiter.

It gets very messy when this kind of thing happens, and it gives recruiters bad reputations.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made it clear that other people had copies of my cv .I am trying to find which other consultant put my cv forward .I realise they are doing there job , but it frustrating how you can't control information .

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Do nothing, just go to the interview.

The fee is a matter for the consultants and your (hopefully) new employer to sort out between them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Grrrrr this sort of thing really gets my goat. A good recruiter should. Get a job spec, Ring a candidate, Confirm interest either verbally or written, Send the job spec, Await feedback, call the candidate to update...... Etc....

Its not difficult, yet some recruiters still spray and pray from candidates on jobboards that assume they'll be interested in a job in Bristol when they live in London....

Little rant for you: To answer your question, Go with the email/letter with the recruiter thats been the most honest with you at the end of the day if you get an offer from the recruiter which is gonna to tell you the FULL package and details or skirt around the bits you won't find out until you start at said position.... Just a thought

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have already been in an interivew where the interviewer has asked about a gap on my cv, which was not there when I sent the CV to the recruiter.:mad:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Whoever gets you the interview gets the money, simple as that and not your problem they get a very hefty wodge of cash from getting somebody a job. I spent a good deal of time applying for jobs and found that recruitment consultants did not know their elbows from more intimate parts of their anatomy and pretty much in general screwed my prospects of work rather than helped it. Not surprising really when 25% of jobs on job boards are for recruitment consultants....

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Recruitment companies are a pain in the neck.

Phoned one once and asked who the advertised job was with (being a small industry). They wouldn't tell me unless I sent a cv and they considered me for the position.

They carried out a phone interview and decided they were not going to put me forward, but told me who the company was. I knew the m.d. and phoned him direct, he went nuts with the recruitment company as he felt I was an ideal candidate.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KimM I am a Quantity Surveyor living in London although from the replies here the contruction industry is not the only one with its fair share of poor recruitment consultants.

As I have not signed a contract I think I can legitimately just go with the one that first mentions they have put me forward and gets me an interview.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I get it from the other end, wheedling it recruitment puppets constantly spamming my inbox with obviously doctored CVs of individuals with next to no experience.

Then when you ask them not to send any more emails they just ignore you.

:(

·
Registered
461 Posts
Whoever gets you the interview gets the money, simple as that and not your problem they get a very hefty wodge of cash from getting somebody a job. I spent a good deal of time applying for jobs and found that recruitment consultants did not know their elbows from more intimate parts of their anatomy and pretty much in general screwed my prospects of work rather than helped it. Not surprising really when 25% of jobs on job boards are for recruitment consultants....
Don't tarnish all of us with less common-sense then a 6 year old... Some of us do work good knows how many hours to find people the right job.. Unfortunately it I concentrated on finding every person I speak to a position I would be out of a job myself (which believe it or not has nearly happened to me twice this year) Recruitment is a Harsh industry to work in!

Sorry chuck I only recruit IT Roles, so wouldn't be able to help you. Although my friend use to work for EC Harris and they usual recruit quite often for good Quantity Surveyors. The bloke I know is on a contract with the olympics which is soon about to finish so he'll be in the same boat as you soon. :(

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The work situation is generally quite good in my sector Railway/heavy civils .I suppose I am not very experienced in dealing with recruitment consultants I have been with the same firm for 7 Years.Like any industry there are competent and incompetent people operating within recruitment.Sometimes I actually feel sorry for the recruitment guys ,companies don't always act in the most professional manner ,advertising for vancancies which are not actually there or advertising externally before going internally etc.I am fairly lucky I have a secure job with a decentish company ,I have decided to leave rather than needing to .

·
Registered
461 Posts
Unfortunately very true... Or tell us they have budget for a role when realistically they don't... It's extremely difficult at the moment... I'm not making excuses, I will admit there is some shocking recruiters out there, hopefully there is still a few good ones on the market..

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All geared up for an interview tomorrow at 3pm .Just had phone call from recruitment consultant ( i presumed to confirm time location etc) .My interview has been pulled by their Commercial director .
the reason there company is in dispute with the one I work for ,not on the project I am on , .My CV had been sent to them before Christmas I had not hidden who I worked for .I had worked with them as a client so they had obviously asked their colleagues about me .To pull the interview less than 24 hours before smacks of awful manners .

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I found a decent recruitment consultant .He found me a position that is exactly what I need for the stage I am at in my career.I have been to two inteviews with them in the last two weeks and yesterday the recruitment consultant confirmed they were preparing an offer for me . It will take them a week to get an offer authorised by HR so I should have it in front of me in ten days....:) So now all I can do is sit and wait ....

Hopefully they have a decent car list......

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tick follows tock .I have been told the offer will be with the recruitment consultant by end of play today and he will be able to talk me through the "headlines" his words :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts