Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently bought a GT and am in the process of tidying it up.

The previous owner or the dealer have tried to touch up a number of stone chips on the bonnet and wings and done an abysmal job!

Is there anything I can do to reverse this and start again so I can try to do a better job or am I stuck with them this way now?!

·
Registered
380 Posts
If it's anything like the botched one's on my car, it looks like someone's got the pen and gone splat ahhh that will do!

G

·
0 Posts
I have heard of people 'sliding' a razor blade across the repair........................

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's anything like the botched one's on my car, it looks like someone's got the pen and gone splat ahhh that will do!
:lol: That is exactly what has been done! Whoever painted them in has literally used 'blobs' of touch up. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CAR?! :tut:

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
The blobs is actually a Good Thing. All matey didn't do is flat them down.

Get yourself some very fine wet and dry (6000 grit?) and use a lot of water.. just sand down the blobs till they're flush with the paint.

Then get some polish on there to remove any minor scratchery. Have a look and see if the "blobs" are lover than the paint anywhere (add new paint.. let it dry.. polish down again) and finally wax it.

If wet and dry makes you nervous, just use polish... but essentially the paint blobs have to be applied so they're higher than the surrounding paint and then flatted back to the same level.. so in fact you're half-way there.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The blobs is actually a Good Thing. All matey didn't do is flat them down.

Get yourself some very fine wet and dry (6000 grit?) and use a lot of water.. just sand down the blobs till they're flush with the paint.

Ralf S.

Wouldn't that also remove the laquer from the paint around the area too???

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Aye! Your flatting down has to be of just the blob but you will inevitably remove some of the clear coat on the areas next to it. If you use some kind of a sanding block (not one of those huge cork blocks.. but something with a square edge) that'll help concentrate the pressure on just the raised bits. If you're just using polish, then the raised bit will catch most of the grief anyway, because it's sticking out.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I use a sanding block from my modelling kit. Small and controllable and gives good results but apart from what Ralf has mentioned, I would add lots of PACIENCE and a light touch and you should be OK.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Yes.. that's the fella. If you have a Dremeller, it may be possible to use a teeeny polishing mop on that. Essentially you just want to smooth down the paint pimple without touching the surrounding paint much.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Exactly the same situation on mine, its look like the previous owner took absolutely no time or care with their 'repairs'.

I think the only solution if you want it looking spick and spam is a respray of the bonnet and a professional repair to the wings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts