Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the official tyre specification used for a 1996 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 TS ?

What was the factory installed brand used ?

What other brands of tyre are recommended and legal for France. ?

I imagine that the Pirelli P6000 was official. Is the P7 a suitable ?

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about what was official, time and tyre technology has moved on massively since then.

get yourself onto a decent tyre review site, and buy the one which you think most suits your needs.

Touring tyre for higher mileage cruising, or a performance tyre if you just have the occasion B road blast for example.

A modern tyre such a Goodyear Assymetric 2 or Michelin PS-2 will make your car stick like Glue to the road in comparison.

A Pirelli P6000 is by modern standards pretty rubbish. The P7 is better, but is still an oldish tyre biased towards higher mileage cruising and longer tyre life.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My ph 2 has 205/50/16. Just go with the make you fancy. Anything is legal in France with tread on.
If you want to know how different tyres perform then maybe you will get some further info from members.

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
Tyre choice

I run my GTV on Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55/16. Excellent grip and ride. The car seems to track nice and straight too !
Well recommended.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I run my GTV on Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55/16. Excellent grip and ride. The car seems to track nice and straight too !
Well recommended.
+1 for me on the Goodyear Efficient Grip, seem to suite the chassis well

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
tire tech has been improving significantly since 1996.

these are in the top 10 every year since they came out.
Continental ContiSportContact 5
Pirelli P Zero
Goodyear Eage F1 Asymmetric 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 3

edit: ContiSportContact 5 will be my next tire no doubt
The Sportcontact 5 seems to wear pretty quickly from what I have read on user reviews.

They might win tyre tests, but wear isn't tested with that.

I had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's (Likely a very similar tyre due to conti Owning Uniroyal and making them in the same factory) and they wore out very quickly.

8000 miles and they were toast, and I don't drive very hard...

Continental Sport Contact 5 | the Continental Sport Contact 5 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have had a few GTVs, 156 etc and have recently put some Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. So far so good in both dry and wet (It's never anything else down'ere in bloody Cornwall)......and I drive Katie like a complete **** most of the time. I am sensible with all other cars and my bikes. There is just something about a GTV!!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Avons on ours. Not sure of the exact type as it's outside under a cover :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Goodyear eagle f1s on mine. Must say the wet grip is phenomonal, at virtually all speeds into corners it feels like its equalling the dry grip.
Cheap tyres are brilliant in the dry, but comical in the wet

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have had a few GTVs, 156 etc and have recently put some Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. So far so good in both dry and wet (It's never anything else down'ere in bloody Cornwall)......and I drive Katie like a complete **** most of the time. I am sensible with all other cars and my bikes. There is just something about a GTV!!
I have the same problem, I have a Lexus, a Porsche 968 and a 2.4 159, the GTV is the only car that MAKES me rag it. It is shod with Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Note to potential buyers.....If Muz advertises his GTV for sale....run !!:biglaugh:
I only rag it once it's up to temperature, still on it's original engine and doesn't burn oil, but you probably have a point :biglaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts