Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 jtdm-2 sportiva nav tct, what tyre pressures are recommended? i have a low tyre pressure warning and not sure what is actually required...

·
Administrator
88,043 Posts
2.6 Front
2.2 Rear

Check your Owner Manual or the online version for more info, page 235/239 (or there about depending on your version)

·
Administrator
88,043 Posts
Is that not repairable ? It doesn't look to be too near to the edge of the tyre or sidewall but the pic doesn't show the whole tyre.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is that not repairable ? It doesn't look to be too near to the edge of the tyre or sidewall but the pic doesn't show the whole tyre.
I have a quite similar puncture few weeks ago and it could be repaired.

Repairing for 20 or so Euro was a pleasant suprise as I first thought I would need to buy a brand new tyre.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Be interested to hear how old that tyre is, there is some bad cracking in the tread...

(for the OP, there is a four digit date code on every tyre with the week & year, ie 0115 is 1st week of Jan 2015, 5215 would be last week of December 2015)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Fronts were at 32 psi, right rear 32 psi, left rear..... 23psi :paranoid:
Did you pump the fronts up to the correct pressure?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Be interested to hear how old that tyre is, there is some bad cracking in the tread...

(for the OP, there is a four digit date code on every tyre with the week & year, ie 0115 is 1st week of Jan 2015, 5215 would be last week of December 2015)
since the car is a 2014 model, the tyres won't be much older. the cracking is due to running underinflated, ime. and of no consequence if not to the level of the plies.

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
Looks like a Dunlop tyre to me ?
I had Maxx RT with cracking between the tread blocks and so have other people on here.

·
Registered
38,690 Posts
I had the cracking issue on Dunlops as well.

I appreciate what CS155 says about underinflation, but I don't think it is the cause in all cases.

I think it is down to manufacturers making compromises to get good results for the EU tyre labels.

Some tyres are made very soft to get good results (Wear isn't measured so it matters little), where as others use compounds which are prone to cracking.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I had the cracking issue on Dunlops as well.

I appreciate what CS155 says about underinflation, but I don't think it is the cause in all cases.

I think it is down to manufacturers making compromises to get good results for the EU tyre labels.

Some tyres are made very soft to get good results (Wear isn't measured so it matters little), where as others use compounds which are prone to cracking.
Can also be caused by over inflation and the tyre stretching, as seen as there is some stress on the tyre tread blocks, say when cornering, it tears the rubber at the bottom of the grooves.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I've heard it can also be caused by lower usage of the car flexing the tyre less frequently.
Yep, old tyres, sunlight hardening off the rubber......Haven't got a chance really have you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a guy look at it and it was not repairable, actually was a huge bolt that had gone into it, scary to think i was doing motorway runs while this was in the tyre unknown to me!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
not an M6 bolt? that's still repairable.

that's exactly why you have TPMS, and us poor buggers need to check our tyre pressures. So now all you need to do is heed the TPMS warnings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts