Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently store my tools in/on a mixture of old wooden drawers and shelves, as well as under the bench etc. And frankly it's a bit of a mess:

IMG_20200712_144211.jpg

I would like to organise things better, and have some decent drawers and cabinets. By a happy coincidence, it happens to be a big birthday coming up soon and nearest and dearest are asking what I want :)

Have any of you gone through this and have any advice and recommendations? I'm thinking Halfords stuff maybe, as it seems good value, and my Trade card could be used, but I don't know what the quality is like...

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I'm not sure but a picture sure does tell a thousand words, are any of those old paint pots any good still? Could save some space

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Crikey Nick! what a mixture, Dulux and Becks and jam jars;)

The best birthday present would be if your nearest and dearest brought half that clutter to the local recycle centre (aka. dump) for you;)
half those dulux tins will have hard dried out paint in them...bet you!

what you need is to use the walls more....re-organise totally.
First have a clearout....draw up a rough plan.

Move the workbench to the left so that you have a nice clear wall (away from that 'wallace & grommet' electrical wiring...)
Then, attach a nice large panel to the wall over the workbench (thickish chipboard or LDF, not too thin, or the screws to hang the tools poke out the back and push against the wall)
or you can buy those metal tool hanging walls....but I find them too sterile.

I find wood better as you can then just screw wood screws into it to hang your spanners, pliers, hammers, screwdrivers etc...and put things in order of size.
this is not mine, but similar to what I did, just hung tools on a screw (if you have a power screwdriver and a hundred screws, it takes no time at all)
tool wall.jpg

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure but a picture sure does tell a thousand words, are any of those old paint pots any good still?
If that decision was mine those paint pots would be LONG gone! My wife takes charge of the painting, and does most of it (when we do it ourselves). She always keeps the remnants in case of need to touch up bits. Which means storing 5 litre pots with about 200ml of paint! I have to be delicate in addressing her hoarding of these things.... :rolleyes:.

Maybe I could use some of the many jam jars she also hoards to store smaller amounts of paint, and get rid of the big tins :unsure:

Anyway, yes, I'm going to do some reorganising of locations and had thought of moving the bench over, Dom, so thanks for endorsing that. I will also get an electrician to do a decent layout.

Putting aside the very obvious need for a spring clean, it would still be good to get some recommendations for drawer and cabinet units.

PS. In case you're wondering, the polythene wrapped object is the 4C race exhaust I took off, as I found it objectionably loud. I have sprayed it with a corrosion inhibitor wax and will stash it away for any future owner who might care less about his neighbours !

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I've converted my single garage to a workshop and still dont have enough space! so good luck Nick, do you slice the roast beef on the bench as well?

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
540 Posts
A few thoughts:
1. Start off on the right foot: don't call it 'the shed', 'the garage', etc. Call it 'my workshop'.
2. Try really hard to find alternative homes for things that don't belong in your workshop. Typical examples are garden chairs, barbecues, bikes, old paint tins, garden tools, other people's stuff...
3. Keep works surfaces and the floor clear. The tool-board is a great idea, and the main thing is to have a 'home' for every single item.
4. You can build little 'bespoke' tool racks too, to make use of some smaller bits of wall space. For instance, I have one for hammers, one for pressure washer tools, one for wheel chocks, etc. See pictures.
5. Put any emergency equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc) near the exit door, but not on the floor.

No need to spend loads of money: it's more about thinking things through, and working out what you actually want to store (and what you don't!) and how to best use the space.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you slice the roast beef on the bench as well?
Sorry, you lost me on that one Martin :unsure:. You must be seeing something I am missing :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions Rob. All good, but I'm just wondering where then to put the non-garage stuff - bikes and gardening tools have to go somewhere, and the garden shed has two sets of winter wheels and a collection of Alfa parts taking up a chunk of room.
I have thought about a bigger garden shed but then we just fill it with more stuff...

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
540 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Rob. All good, but I'm just wondering where then to put the non-garage stuff - bikes and gardening tools have to go somewhere, and the garden shed has two sets of winter wheels and a collection of Alfa parts taking up a chunk of room.
I have thought about a bigger garden shed but then we just fill it with more stuff...
You're right. I'm really lucky to have two garden sheds as well as my workshop.

I used to seriously struggle to get the Alfa's parts organised and eventually bought a set of large plastic lidded crates. 90% of my Alfetta spares fit in those and I've made a little database that lists what's in each box. A bit over-the-top perhaps, but it takes up much less space, things are easy to find and it's transformed the tidiness and functionality of my workshop by getting all the spares out of the way.

By finding a way to organise your spares (and binning stuff you don't need) perhaps you could similarly create more space...?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that is seriously detailed storage. I do have the crates, but not the filing system. Nice idea.

I have been looking at it all again this evening, and I think the pressing need is to have a clear out before working out the storage needs for the stuff I keep.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Sorry, you lost me on that one Martin :unsure:. You must be seeing something I am missing :oops:

Sorry Nick, wrong pic, it was the one Dom posted (not his) which has some rather sharp looking knives on top right....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, I see what you mean. I'm sure they come in useful for cutting string and things.

Speaking of useful, amongst other things on my shelves I have this device (a legacy of when I was marketing a medical device to help in surgery).
The scissor grip operates a two jaw pincer at the other end, which can be swivelled and also ratchet locked. Its about 15" long, and very slim. I have never used it, until Sunday.
My son and I were changing handbrake cables on his Peugeot Cabriolet. We did the "tie a piece of string to the old one, then use it to pull new one through" bit but the nearside new one still got hung up on the way back. On my back under the car,I could see it through a half inch gap between exhaust heat shield and body but couldn't get to it, without taking the shield and exhaust off. Until I remembered the bowel grabber !!
It was perfect. Although one with a torch on the end would be even better :love:

Anyway, that's why the tool shelves are overflowing, there is some exotic stuff in there ;)

Bowel grasper.JPG

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Errr ....too much info Nick....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could have been worse, it might have been a proctoscope :oops:

Admit it, you want one of these grabbers now ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts