Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted aftermarket sensors to their car? If so how much were they & how effective are they, photos would be a bonus too.:)

I'm looking for something not too hard to install, i don't mind a bit of work but mainly looking for something fairly discreet which is not too pricey.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hiya,

got june from ebay £14.00, you can get any colour you fancy. just drill the pumper, then connect to reverse lights, very easy on a salon. should take not more than one hour. very effective, especially on a sport wagon :)

Always fit some if the car doesn't have it, make so much easy to park.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya,

got june from ebay £14.00, you can get any colour you fancy. just drill the pumper, then connect to reverse lights, very easy on a salon. should take not more than one hour. very effective, especially on a sport wagon :)

Always fit some if the car doesn't have it, make so much easy to park.
Thanks.

The prices seem very inconsistent, the cheap one's are getting great reviews & yet there's sensors for over £100? What are the actual differences?

The drilling part scares me. How did you measure each hole to get a nice symmetry? The cars already have one hole as stock near the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My GT appears to have an aftermarket kit fitted, there are no visible sensors and I understand that there are some systems where you stick a 'detection' strip to the inside of the bumper. I have no idea of the brand as it was on the car when I got it.

It is really worse than useless and I'm considering disconnecting it. About 80% of the time it works correctly, 10% of the time is goes off for no reason and 10% of the time is doesn't work. In fact I managed to reverse into a post in an unlit car park one night without the thing making the slightest noise :mad:. When it goes off unexpectedly you are paranoid you are about to hit something even thought you are 99.9% sure there is nothing about.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My GT appears to have an aftermarket kit fitted, there are no visible sensors and I understand that there are some systems where you stick a 'detection' strip to the inside of the bumper. I have no idea of the brand as it was on the car when I got it.

It is really worse than useless and I'm considering disconnecting it. About 80% of the time it works correctly, 10% of the time is goes off for no reason and 10% of the time is doesn't work. In fact I managed to reverse into a post in an unlit car park one night without the thing making the slightest noise :mad:. When it goes off unexpectedly you are paranoid you are about to hit something even thought you are 99.9% sure there is nothing about.

Was just reading about these 'strips'. Funnily enough, the cheap one's seems to have the best reviews. And because of that & the price it seemed worth a gamble.

There's a hole on the rear bumpers from factory which I think is for a sensor, but it's positioning means it's impossible to get symmetry if you drilled 3 more holes... Do you need to fit all 4 with the kits or can you have 3?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I fitted a set called Steel Mate, found them on Ebay, easy to fit, measured and marked points on bumper, didn't need to remove it, and wired to reversing lights, work like a dream.
wm_normal_alfas.jpg

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fitted a set called Steel Mate, found them on Ebay, easy to fit, measured and marked points on bumper, didn't need to remove it, and wired to reversing lights, work like a dream.
View attachment 133579
Anymore details...? :) How are they attached/price/model?

And where are they on the photo above? Do you have any more photo please? :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Just make sure you mount them high enough (usually specified by the maker) cos if not they just go off all the time as they sense the ground, speaking from experience!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Was just reading about these 'strips'. Funnily enough, the cheap one's seems to have the best reviews. And because of that & the price it seemed worth a gamble.

There's a hole on the rear bumpers from factory which I think is for a sensor, but it's positioning means it's impossible to get symmetry if you drilled 3 more holes... Do you need to fit all 4 with the kits or can you have 3?
The hole you're thinking of isn't the one for the towing eye is it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure you mount them high enough (usually specified by the maker) cos if not they just go off all the time as they sense the ground, speaking from experience!
I was looking at this Numberplate sensor But not sure there's enough room above the plate

Would save hassle & seems to be a nice height.

The hole you're thinking of isn't the one for the towing eye is it?
No idea, it's the bottom right of the rear bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Think it is, I'll check mine, you hoick the cover off and screw in the towing eye.

If not, It's probably too low to be used for the sensors anyway though

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Fix a short stick to the bumper and attach a small bell to the end - simples :D

*sorry*

·
Registered
134 Posts
I reckon best bet is...take a look at a cloverleaf and try to replicate the parking sensor configuration. And while measuring, masking and drilling recite these words....MEASURE TWICE DRILL ONCE...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have found that as an aftermarket product you cant beat "Girlfriend" or the more permanent device "Wife". My own experience is that these are effective but a little too sensitive and normally go off at least 10ft from an obstacle. The same maker also supplied "WifeNav" but that has intermittent silent spots and gives late notice to left hand turns.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have found that as an aftermarket product you cant beat "Girlfriend" or the more permanent device "Wife". My own experience is that these are effective but a little too sensitive and normally go off at least 10ft from an obstacle. The same maker also supplied "WifeNav" but that has intermittent silent spots and gives late notice to left hand turns.
"Keep going, keep going... yup you still got some room... keep going... *baaammm* ... Now look what you have done!"
"In 100 meters tuuu.... oh you just missed it."

Those "Wife/GF" sensors are very temperamental indeed. :cheese:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:lol:Thanks guys. Some good tips...:eek:

I'm going to measure the gap above the numberplate tomorrow for the 'Numberplate parking sensor' seems simple enough & at a nice position but there's not a lot of room to play with.

My car is also black so if I do decide to drill & mess up, it won't appear as bad.:p

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
"Keep going, keep going... yup you still got some room... keep going... *baaammm* ... Now look what you have done!"
"In 100 meters tuuu.... oh you just missed it."

Those "Wife/GF" sensors are very temperamental indeed. :cheese:
Any cost more than if you had no sensors and had to repair the car because you bumped it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm going to go for the 4 sensors drilled in the rear.

Because of the shape of the bumper, do these sensors sit nicely on a curve? Ideally I'd want 2 each side of the number plate which will put the furthest sensor on a slight edge.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did the 1st gen 147 have sensors as an extra? I'm reading there might be a problem with the Canbus system if fitted.

Has anyone even fitted them to a 147?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That steelmate company make a canbus module, but think it's only speed detection for switching on/off front sensors.

As it's going to the reverse lights, which are on the canbus system you can probably bet it'll be an issue.

Shame as I want some now!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts