Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a mountain bike in the near future, for occasional use and to help me get fit.

I am looking at the lower end of the market, so I know I won't get anything too fancy.

Has anyone any recommendations? I don't want anything with rear suspension.

The budget will be up to around £100.

Cheers. :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
The last ones I bought for my twin boys were from Toy's R Us and they lasted their abuse for 2 years. They were full size and if I remember correctly they were half price at £125 each ( I know they were never on sale for £250 but seemed good value).....sold them after 2 years for £30 each
Bikes & Ride-ons, Bikes, Mens - Toys R Us - Britain's greatest toy store

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did think about going secondhand and better quality, but due to where I will store the bike I am worried that if I get anything too decent it will get stolen.

On a slightly different note, a few years ago I spent £450 on a Carrera bike from Halfords. What a pile of junk that was. I had it two weeks and the fastners were already going rusty, and after 6 months the tyres were beggining to perish.

It wasn't all that great to ride either.

K

·
0 Posts
I paid about £100 in Halfords for mine and it does the job. I don't see the point in having a whizzy super light bike when it's going to have a fat old get like me on it.

For that money go basic hardtail rather than one of those cheapo full suspension ones they sell in sports direct.

L

·
0 Posts
Pay me £100 and I'll trot off into Peterborough with my hacksaw and get you something nice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
When I worked in a certain chain cycle stoe and no it wasn't halfords, people would bring these cheapo bikes for me to fix, labour always was more then the bike was new as they're crap in everyway but some people still would want it fixed despite the cost :confused: it did my head in :lol:

Buy 2nd hand and get a rigid bike, no suspension at all, suspension even on bikes below 400 quid is crap and prone to problems if it even works at all.

Try an find a bike about 5 years old, should be half decent and cheap too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts