Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My V6 hadn't been used in a few weeks and after jump starting her today the battery appears to have given up.

Any recommendations on a half decent one from anybody? If I could save a touch of weight while I'm at it that'd be great but don't want to spend a fortune.

Think I'll have to invest in one of those solar chargers too to use any little sunlight we may get!

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, I can recommend a Bosch Silver Plus from Max Autoparts. £80 delivered. Maybe not the cheapest, but very good batteries and brilliant service. I've bought one for both may cars in the last few months, sadly :(

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Try Eurocarparts.

I need a battery as well for my V6. Be careful, some sites/shops quote the wrong battery capacity for the V6, according to the workshop manual, they quote a battery with the capacity of 70Ah, should be fitted.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Regardless of the new battery, I would be recommending a battery isolation switch or a permanently live 12v cigarette socket in the cabin to plug a solar charger in to, check your cigarette lighter to see if it works with the ignition off, you may be lucky and it could be permanently live already.P1s are I think p2s not.

I am constantly charging mine up due to me using the van majority of the time. I am putting in the extra 12v socket this week. Solar charger on the dash used to work a treat in the van when I used to use that one less.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ooh , and .... if you buy a battery that is physically smaller than the proper one make sure you chock the battery both sides and space out as appropriate on the top of the battery securing strap so the battery cant move about. Mine is chocked and spaced with some 2*1 wood strip. My battery was not tight and it used to slide sideways on roundabouts and short out out on the battery securing strap. The engine would cut out mid corner. Only worked it out after I saw smoke from the boot. The battery terminal had welded itself to the securing strap. Scary times!!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just got me a new battery for my car. I got a Bosch S3 battery (70Ah), from Eurocarparts for £75. Whoa, what a difference a battery makes, car now spins over a hell of a lot quicker. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you haven't already got your battery, Sutton Auto Factors offer the Bosch silver S5 77AH, 5 year warranty for £72.50 inc VAT & delivery. Got one myself a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you haven't already got your battery, Sutton Auto Factors offer the Bosch silver S5 77AH, 5 year warranty for £72.50 inc VAT & delivery. Got one myself a couple of weeks back.
Just picked up the same from Sutton after reading your post, arrived within two days, very well packaged, popped it in and the v6 came back to life. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
When I got one for my 155 I measured the battery tray and stuffed in the biggest battery that would physically fit.. :D

I think it's an 096 .. made for the 155 Turbo Diesel rather than my less demanding v6.. It also happens to be the same size as will just about fit in the battery tray of my GTV 2.0ltr too.

The 3.0 ltr GTV uses an 096 too.. whereas the 2.0 ltr has the smaller battery as fits the 155 v6 petrol... but I reckon you can't have too many amps! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When I got one for my 155 I measured the battery tray and stuffed in the biggest battery that would physically fit.. :D

I think it's an 096 .. made for the 155 Turbo Diesel rather than my less demanding v6.. It also happens to be the same size as will just about fit in the battery tray of my GTV 2.0ltr too.

The 3.0 ltr GTV uses an 096 too.. whereas the 2.0 ltr has the smaller battery as fits the 155 v6 petrol... but I reckon you can't have too many amps! :D

Ralf S.
+1 Thats exactly what I had done. ??

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
Bosch Silver is a really bad battery. It has the most issues and returns. I've had a couple and they are inferior to Varta and Varta is cheaper.

What I would recommend is Banner. It's an Austrian manufacturer of high quality batteries. The price is reasonable and they last forever. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just went to my local factors and bought the one with the most cold cranking amps (cca) which also had the right terminals and would physically fit. I didn't bother about AHs. I've no idea what brand it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts