Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi AO, recently (last few months), recieving a pager has caused my Internet Explorer to crash, I hear the pager noise then it locks up.

This only happens if I have multiple tabs of AlfaOwner.com open.

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues, has anyone else had the same issue as I just tried it with the latest version of IE and had no problems with tabs open with pagers?

I think it wil be a local issue?

Regards,

AO

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
This used to happen on my old IE6.

Then I upgraded to vista. Both firefox and IE7 work fine.

Is your java up to date too?

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what, since I posted this thread I've had PMs from Roswell, Mr. Orange and GhostyDog and not a single crash.. Must just be a freak coincidence.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with fully uptodate software, IE 7 etc..

·
Administrator
47,199 Posts
Hands up who wants to join me in a systemic attempt to make Pud cry by sending him constant asnd repeated pager messages. :D

Anyone? :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Hands up who wants to join me in a systemic attempt to make Pud cry by sending him constant asnd repeated pager messages. :D

Anyone? :D
Mate that's just cruel...

Where do I sign up? :D

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its pagers not PMs, my Internet is quite on/off so I tend to open up loads of threads in new tabs - which usually meant the same pager popped up in all the different windows. I can handle that, but lately it was crashing IE altogether if I had more than 1 tab open.

But yesterday it worked fine. Same thing happens when I use the PC at my mams in York, multiple tabs in one window of IE7 would cause a crash when we recieve a pager. But yesterday it worked fine, which I don't understand.

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also guys - very funny.. Is there a way of turning pagers off by any chance?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Hi Ian,

FYI Pagers also cause my Internet explorer to crash sometimes, but always show an error.

Latest version of Internet Explorer 7.0 as of a few days ago

Win XP sp2.

Pagers don't always crash exploerer, but more often gives a pop-up error dialog along the lines of "plug-in failed to inialize".
Will post more info if I find out, the content of the page message and the author is visible.

However even when this message error message is presented I can still read the pager message and reply, assuming that the plug-in loading didn't crash I.E in the first place.

My last crash was about 2hrs ago..

BTW Probably wont be on-line much more tonight but feel free (Ian) to send me a test page msg and I can check if the Audio notification workaround seems to work for me.

[EDIT: while IE 7.0 is a tab enabled browser I don't think I had multiple tabs open, and definitely didn't have multuiple AO tabs open]

Cheers,
TB

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have removed the pagers audible notification on your account, I think this will solve it! If not you can switch it off here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Let us know if this helped.

Ian
Before you replied I had a pager from Mr. Orange which crashed explorer out again.. I've now turned them off now. If I start using Firefox or when IE8 comes out or if there's a Java update I'll try them again and let you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts