Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmm nice one! A previous client of mine who currently owes my Practice ten's of thousands of pounds in unpaid and well overdue fees has the audacity to turn up at a meeting yesterday for a new project in a '59 plate Maserati GranTurismo S.:tut:

Talk about rubbing your nose it.

I know it's all show and will be on lease..........but still!

Hey ho....what is it they say about revenge being a dessert best served cold?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
A couple of years ago, we had an outstanding debt of around 20 grand which was causing us serious cash flow issues, to the point where we thought we might have to pack the business in. The guy turned up to a crisis meeting with us in a brand new Overfinch Range Rover Sport.

Needless to say, I was speechless. Couldn't believe he hadn't hired something else for the day.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I always encourage our sales staff to have unostentatious cars to avoid 'car envy' with clients. One of my biggest competitors, very dodgy, 4 liquidations behind him and disqualified from being a company director drives a top spec Lexus.

What is it about fraudsters that they need a big or flash car? Is it in some way linked to the same personality trait that causes them to con customers and suppliers?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Had the same done to me so many times. Most don't lose a days trading.

One I got caught with had 3 foreign properties, he wrote off £1.4Mil and has recently bought business premises around the corner from me !

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
has the audacity to turn up at a meeting yesterday for a new project...
He owes you tens of thousands in unpaid bills, which you are rightly complaining about, but you've invited him to a meeting about a new project? Not clever :lol:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
This reminds me of a similar situation I found myself in a few years back.

I worked for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, and we were due to have our annual review meeting with the company that supplied us with about 90% of all our bottles, pots and other product receptacles. This company had supplied us for the best part of 40 years, and we'd sit down every year to review the product range, discuss the next year's projected spend and discuss discount levels, etc.

Anyway, there we all were, myself and various other managers, including the Chairman, CEO, Finance Director and Technical Director, chatting in the boardroom, waiting for our man from the suppliers to turn up.

It was a warm day, so we had the windows in the boardroom open. All of a sudden, we heard the deep, low rumble of what sounded like a pretty tasty motor ambling into the car park (directly below the 1st floor boardroom).

We all went to the windows to see what/who it was. Sure enough, it was a very tasty motor. A brand new Aston Martin Vanquish, which looked like it had every option thrown at it. This car was GORGEOUS.

To all-round surprise, out stepped our man from the bottle supplier. At that moment, we all stopped talking about the car, and sat back around the boardroom table. A few minutes later, the Chairman's PA brought the Aston driver into the boardroom, to a muted welcome.

We all listened patiently, and watched his various presentations in near-silence. Once he'd gone, the CEO thanked us all for our time, and we all went back to work.

Suffice to say, the Aston driver's company never got another penny from us.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Morgan, I don't see what's the matter there though.. is it just because it was an Aston Martin? I bet if it was an 8C you'd be dating the guy now! :D

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I always encourage our sales staff to have unostentatious cars to avoid 'car envy' with clients.
Good policy and one I've often said we'd have here if there was any chance of us affording ostentatious cars!

Not necessarily car envy, but I sometimes wonder whether I'm being overcharged if a supplier turns up in a very expensive car. There's a subtle balance between looking successful and looking like you're charging too much.

I'd love a Maserati, but if I had one, I think I'd use it at weekends only rather than turn up to meetings in it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He owes you tens of thousands in unpaid bills, which you are rightly complaining about, but you've invited him to a meeting about a new project? Not clever :lol:
Eh no.......he is acting as a middleman for a potential new client.......and he invited me.;)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We all went to the windows to see what/who it was. Sure enough, it was a very tasty motor. A brand new Aston Martin Vanquish, which looked like it had every option thrown at it. This car was GORGEOUS.

To all-round surprise, out stepped our man from the bottle supplier.
I guess you've got to admire his 'bottle' though.:eek:;) Ok....I've said it now......I'll go and stand in the corner for a while.

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
My old boss used to say that if you turned up at a customers premises in a flash car it is a sign that you are charging them too much. ;)

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Morgan, I don't see what's the matter there though.. is it just because it was an Aston Martin? I bet if it was an 8C you'd be dating the guy now! :D
Wasn't my decision to stop using them, that was made a LOT higher up than me. :cool:

And yes, I'd be fathering his children had he turned up in an 8C. :lol:
My old boss used to say that if you turned up at a customers premises in a flash car it is a sign that you are charging them too much. ;)
I'm fairly sure this is why "Aston Man" got dumped by my old firm. :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
It can work the other way too though.

When going for a job interview, take a look at the cars in the car park. If they are half decent then thats all well and good, but if the car park is full of old bangers you can be fairly sure that the company pays poor wages. ;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Eh no.......he is acting as a middleman for a potential new client.......and he invited me.;)
Ah, OK, that clarifies it. So, he can fail to pay tens of thousands in bills and it's fine - as long as you get a new contract out of it, so he can do the same to someone else? :lol:

This reminds me of a similar situation I found myself in a few years back...
It is frankly laughable that companies actually make business decisions based on the car the supplier is driving. The example from Morgan sums up the stupidity. They paid so much that the guy could afford an Aston Martin, yet they used his services for 40 years without any complaints. But when he actually turns up in a decent car, they drop him. How ridiculous! Anyone with sense simply bases decisions on the quality of the job and how much it costs. In Morgan's example, they obviously didn't have a problem with either for 40 years, so what difference does the Aston make? The world is full of fools :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
It is frankly laughable that companies actually make business decisions based on the car the supplier is driving. The example from Morgan sums up the stupidity. They paid so much that the guy could afford an Aston Martin, yet they used his services for 40 years without any complaints. But when he actually turns up in a decent car, they drop him. How ridiculous! Anyone with sense simply bases decisions on the quality of the job and how much it costs. In Morgan's example, they obviously didn't have a problem with either for 40 years, so what difference does the Aston make? The world is full of fools :rolleyes:
There was nothing wrong with the bottles he was selling us, and nothing wrong with the price he was charging us either. He was also very professional, clearly knew his business and gave a good presentation.

His only mistake was to rock up to a very traditional family firm in a £160,000 automobile. Back then, the FD of my firm drove a Mitsubishi Gallant, the CEO had an old (but not classic) Jag and the Chairman piloted a well-used Mercedes E-Class Estate. The combined value of the management team's cars would barely pay for a major service on the Aston. It was just a bit too much for the top men to swallow, it seems.

But, as a very wise man once said to me, "Perception is the only reality". :cool:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It was just a bit too much for the top men to swallow, it seems.
that's probably the point, what a lame bunch of individuals.. So who should be entitled to buy flash cars? Only football stars and rappers, so that they can wrap them in tinfoil and encrust the bumpers with diamonds? :rolleyes:

besides what if the guy inherited a big lump of money or won the lottery?! If I was cursed with such bad luck I'd buy a flash car for each day of the week! :D

A.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts