Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying.

There are lots of places you can buy the coils from. NGK do one which is the U5014. About £25 each.

They will only work with an aftermarket ECU as far as I know.
Can i ask have you drawing for the coil holders or does the guy who made yours sell them.. thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Right....it lives. Sort of :depressed: I would welcome some views on this

This was the first start, completely from scratch without a base map. So it was never going to be a super smooth start. However....

As you can hear there is a very load ticking noise. It's not from the tappets, oil pressure is spot on - well over 5 bar cold. Engine itself sounds sweet otherwise. Sounded like it was coming from the crank pulley. So removed the aux belt to eliminate the Alternator, water pump and AC compressor.

Now, this sort of sounds like a spun bearing but doesn't sound like it's coming form 'inside' the engine. It's a totally rebuilt engine and has never been started before. The noise was there from the moment it started. So (although not completely impossible) is very, very unlikely. It's not catching on the cam belt covers.

It doesn't make the noise at turnover.

I've not broken down in tears yet.....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? I really, really don't want to have to remove the engine and pull it to bits if I really don't have to :(

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Right....it lives. Sort of :depressed: I would welcome some views on this

This was the first start, completely from scratch without a base map. So it was never going to be a super smooth start. However....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFhzfQ98u4

As you can hear there is a very load ticking noise. It's not from the tappets, oil pressure is spot on - well over 5 bar cold. Engine itself sounds sweet otherwise. Sounded like it was coming from the crank pulley. So removed the aux belt to eliminate the Alternator, water pump and AC compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJz6XgVzrSQ

Now, this sort of sounds like a spun bearing but doesn't sound like it's coming form 'inside' the engine. It's a totally rebuilt engine and has never been started before. The noise was there from the moment it started. So (although not completely impossible) is very, very unlikely. It's not catching on the cam belt covers.

It doesn't make the noise at turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJg5YtLqQw

I've not broken down in tears yet.....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? I really, really don't want to have to remove the engine and pull it to bits if I really don't have to :(
It sounds constant, so it is not rev related, so it's not mechanical - I don't think. To me, it sounds electrical. Fuel pump?

I've always had a similar "Tick" on my 3.0 GTV, slightly lower level. Never been a problem. I often wondered may be a fuel pressure relief valve or something. But has never caused any problems. If it was mechanical, it wouldn't be constant so I think you can rule out the engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All wired up now and running (at idle at least) will get fully mapped once the body has been fitted. Wiring / mapping chap is away form mid Nov until Jan so thta gives me time to get the body sorted and maybe get the car painted.

When we started it up we got another horrible noise......turned ot it was the back of the cam belt covers rubbing against the cam pulleys. I was missing this bracket! Alfa Romeo V6 (Busso) Cam Belt Cover Bracket - OEM P/N 60608831 (60608831) :: TotallyAlfa

Didn't even realise there was supposed to be a bracket sthere to be honest. Ordered from the Totally Alfa website, arrived very quickly, fits great and stopped the noise.

Final brackets for wiring harness. Injector harness connector:

Knock sensor and cam sensor

Fitted lots of dynamat type material in the cabin area

Fitted the air filter as the ITBs are now balanced (at idle)

And now it's back at Lister Bells workshop rad for body fit. Only took 2 yrs and 8 months from first collection the initial parts of the kit :ermm:

They'll be putting bits like this on it:

And making it look a lot more like this :driving:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Looks amazing mate. i,m so glad you keep popping in to update photos. Loving the throttle body kits you had made.. pity they wont fit under the bonnet... what colour you going for

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Cheers. I guess you could always put a 'bump' in the bonnet :rofl: Lister Bell have developed a really nice setup that used the full ITB setup from the E46 BMW M3, looks really nice, but again it wouldn't fit under an Alfa bonnet.

I was going for something like this

But I'm starting to think this might be cooler (A Startos can carry off a bonkers colour combination.)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I like both but prefer the red in my old age... think its really looks great against the gold alloys .. and its shiny but that could just be the picture's lol..

i,m ok using a custom made set up using bike bodies from a truimph triple but still developing it as times allows so slow going. need to travel to find cheaper laser cutters lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry chaps but never liked red cars, have never owned one.

As much as I love the classic Alitalia scheme, I'm going for a road car look rather than a rally car.

Should have it back with the unpainted body on it in about a weeks' time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Various delays but now moving in the right direction again.

It's looking quite.......green! Will be finished next Friday. Engine run in and mapping session booked for 7/8th June

21 - 40 of 50 Posts