Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So yesterday I bought my self a 98 2.0 gtv :)
Today the cam belt went :mad:
Not sure how badly it's damaged yet but thought I'd get some opinions anyway.
If its pretty much terminal which knowing my luck it will be, shall I have it rebuilt or replaced?
If the replace option is on the cards would it be possible to drop a 3.0 v6 into it or is that too much hassle???
Any opinions or ideas gratefully received.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,407 Posts
2.0TS engines are quite common so you will be able to source a decent one for a reasonable price

Its up to you if you want to repair your engine but even if you do the work yourself you will still be looking at a hefty bill. You will need a lot of new parts. I would go for a replacement engine and give it a full belt service before dropping it in, unless its a recon unit and its already had it done :)

The V6 conversion is doable but its far too much hassle and work to make it viable. Factor in that you will have to buy an engine, gearbox, wiring, ecu, driveshafts, hubs and brakes and then fit it all, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a V6 GTV

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Whip the head off and change the valves, skim the head and fit with new belts :thumbs:

Or just buy a replacement head and fit that (and)

Take the engine out and lighten the fly wheel, rods, crank, new rings, big end shell and main shells, oh and fit a new clutch whilst your there :thumbs:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,407 Posts
What about any valves that will have bounced into the piston? Crank needing regrinding?

All very well doing a head swap but if you rebuild it and find out the bottom end is ****ed too....

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I guess your'l be unlucky if the crank needs regrinding! Can always have a look at the pistons with the head off and go from there.

A little bit of reassurance here... The GTV I've just bought had a head rebuild 3 years ago with no damage to the bottom end. Sounds and runs great.

Costs nothing to have a look at the damage if your handy with a set of tools :thumbs:

Seeing as your in Kent too noobster I could offer you a helping hand.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Crank regrinding because of belt failure? Don't think so. New shells perhaps.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If your engine was a good'un.. do a head/belt job and fit new bearing shells.. shouldn't need a regrind.. if it was running ok and not run low on oil..

or if you can afford it fit a recon guaranteed engine.. auto lusso..

You don't know the condition of a secondhand engine until it's in and running.. nothing worse than spending a lot of time and money only to find that you have fitted a clapped out old dog.. you might get lucky, but it's a risk.. most secondhand engines come from cars that have been scrapped.. think about it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts