Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My rear wiper hasn’t worked since I bought my G. I suspected the wiring loom in the boot of course, but having soldered that back together with some stronger wire it still does not work. I pulled all the trim off and tested the voltage to the 3 pins on the connector for the motor, and all were getting 12V with the switch on. This has lead me to conclude that the motor is the problem, but am happy to be corrected.

Is it easy enough to change? I know you have to drill the rivets out which is no problem, and I will probably replace those with some short bolts, nuts and large washers. Just looking for people’s experiences with changing it, whether there are any common issues that are not immediately obvious...

I did consider saving the £60 and just investing in a bottle of Rain-X but it would annoy me having the wiper sat there not working :LOL:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm not sure about the Guilietta rear wiper setup, I see on MES that the body computer looks for a wiper park confirmation. My wiper motor has a mind of it's own, some days it works fine, other days works like it's powered from the stalk and then use the rear washer and the wiper carry's on running for ages or until you turn off the ignition. I was thinking motor but it's behaviour is so random I'm thinking it might be the loom. All the wiper motors I've dealt with in the past usually had 3 wires, permanent 12V with ignition on, to allow the wiper to park from a copper track on a cam on the drive gear, switched 12V to get the wiper to move from the park position in the first place and then keep going whilst the switch is in the on position and of course negative. From you reporting still only 3 pins I imagine there is negative, position confirmation and 12V power from the Body computer module, the rear wiper alters its timing depending on the speeds selected on the front wipers, it still only runs one speed. If the weather holds this weekend I might just try to investigate it a bit further. Hopefully someone has already been in this place and can confirm my guesses?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yes I have had exactly the same fault you describe last year, hatch wiring was iffy so I replaced that but wiper still had mind of its own. BCM was the cause whether it was fried by hatch wiring or it’s just a failure that occurs on the G I don’t know.
£500 from Italy codes to car then final program by dealer. No more issues since then.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Oh heck £500 to fix the rear wiper behaviour is almost 20% of a 10 year old cars value! I'll see where I get to with this when the weather allows. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, interesting. Is there an easy way to test if it is the BCM? If it is then it’ll be Jackfi’s suggestion and a vat of Rain-X :ROFLMAO:

ETA: though if it is the BCM surely it wouldn’t have been getting 12V with the switch on? It definitely switched correctly and was getting a negligible voltage with the switch off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts