Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

Some lovely person has decided to smash my rear window in, I'm not sure whether to go through insurance as they'll surely increase my premium.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement window. The best I can find is imported from Italy and certainly isn't cheap.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Evening all

Some lovely person has decided to smash my rear window in, I'm not sure whether to go through insurance as they'll surely increase my premium.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement window. The best I can find is imported from Italy and certainly isn't cheap.

Thanks
Ouch. No advice here, sorry. Such a nice car.

Is this the right shape?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302254153020?chn=ps

You'd be liable for disposing of the rest...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Try GTV City on Facebook. They are always breaking 916s and are very good value for 2nd hand spares. Might be a professional job to fit it though... I’m not sure how modern windows are held in. Last car I replaced a rear window on was a 1967 Triumph Vitesse using nothing more than a piece of string.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try GTV City on Facebook. They are always breaking 916s and are very good value for 2nd hand spares. Might be a professional job to fit it though... I’m not sure how modern windows are held in. Last car I replaced a rear window on was a 1967 Triumph Vitesse using nothing more than a piece of string.
Might be worth checking your insurance policy before paying for it yourself, this is what my policy says:

"Windscreen and glass: We will repair or replace your windscreen and/or glass windows if they break, subject to an excess."

Plus it shouldn't affect your no claims discount...

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/what-will-it-cost/rear-window-replacement/

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I always thought the glass on a car was subject to an excess but paying this excess also meant that your NCB was not affected and it was not classed as a claim

worth asking the question

·
Registered
436 Posts
All of the glass is bonded in to the car. It really needs professional fitting.
A secondhand assembly would have to be cut out of a scrap car.
There is a risk of damage to the over moulding around the glass with the cutting out.
Trying the windscreen fitting companies would be the best, however I cannot comment on the stock available.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just to note : You have the factory fitted rear wing which means you have the rear screen variant where the normal 3rd brake light is blanked off with the black window surround.

That makes it a bit more difficult sourcing a spare :(

You can, however, fill in the aperture on a non aero window with a suitable black glass paint. Best done before fitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts